Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gearbox

I have a 1937 7 Opal which is becoming increasingly difficult to get into reverse. The problem seems to increase as the engine warms up, ie I can almost guarantee getting reverse after starting, to get me out of the garage, but after about 10 minutes it is not selectable, indeed there doesn`t feel as though there is anywhere for the gear lever to go! Anybody any suggestions. PS I am also looking to locate, (without much luck) a Lucas ignition & hi/lo/lights switch.

Re: Gearbox

Richard,

Sounds like a bit of a problem !

It may be several causes, worn selector fork, broken selector ball spring, etc. etc.

I think the time has come to take the gearbox out ( luckily yours will come out without having to take the engine out ) and investigate. The Cornwall 'Black Hand' gang are always there to help, advise and or assist.

As to the switch unit, I am fairly certain there is at least one spare one floating about within the club, if this plea on the forum doesn't come up trumps then an ad in the Cornwall magazine might.

Give me a ring or email if you need advice on the gearbox

Hi Richard

I'm definitely not an expert, but I presume theres oil of the correct type in there?
Another point... presumably you have a late 4 speed box with synchro on 2nd,3rd and top? First and reverse are still crash.
Have you tried selecting first gear and then back into reverse? Or maybe declutching a few times to let everything line up differently? Is the clutch freeing correctly? The Colander is hard to get in reverse because I have bent the gearlever almost horizontal to clear the dash, but I can reach out of the cockpit and roll the car by a back wheel to line things up a bit better.

Ref the Lucas switch, you could try ebay, but be carefull there are some high prices out there!

Steve.

Re: Re: Gearbox

Are the Cornish taking over this forum???

I would veture to suggest that it's the clutch! It is a classic symptom.poor selection of first and reverse gear and getting worse when it gets hot. it sounds that in any event you will have to take out the box. Go for the clutch first. the late release levers were altered by austins and usually need setting up.

Re: Re: Gearbox

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. Some good ideas comming out. Looks like I`ll get to use the Mercury Workshop Manual I`ve just ordered rather sooner than I hoped! Also thanks Malcom for the offer of help.

The ignition switch - what is there at the moment?

If you have the remains of the original switch, then my box'o bits may have the parts to mend it.

From some of the replies it sounds as if your connected to the Cornwall Club, so am I, but contact Maocolm in the first instance.

Sandy, another Cornwall member.....