Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Arrows

I've already contacted Sandy direct requesting contact with present Arrow owners to see who knows something of the history of H.A.Saunders or the Company. Meantime, can anyone else help as to if they were still in business in 1937 and did they produce Austin 7 bodywork that late, please? Cheers, Bill

Re: Arrows

Bill,

Sorry, been diverted in my attention, Jim Blacklock, Norfolk A7 Club is currently into all things Arrow, so contact him, there should be a link on this site, if not it is on the A7CA web site.

I will email you details of another owner down here in Cornwall later, just off to a meeting (another xxxx meeting)...... So much for retirement.

Sandy

Re: Re: Arrows

Thanks to Sandy who supplied most of the answers we required, but he also suggested contacting Jim Blacklock of Norfolk A7 Club. My email to Jim was rejected - can anyone please help with Jim's correct email address? Cheers, Bill

Bill,
A7CA Mag 1978D Page 23 contains some information on the Arrow and H. A. Saunders the distributor.

In his book A-Z of British Coachbuilders, Nick Walker states under COMPTON, A P on page 100 "H A Saunders became distributors for Austin Arrows, replacing Normand Garages. Even this change of policy was insufficient to save the company and it went out of business in 1934. Some remaining Austin Arrow Special bodies were sent to WHITTINGHAM & MITCHELL for finishing"
In the previously mentioned A7CA Mag, Mike Dean mentioned that his car had a plate that proudly proclaimed coachwork by Whittingham and Mitchell.

I have a copy of an advert from the Motor dated April 30, 1935 showing H. A. Saunders advertising the Austin Ten Arrow Sports 2 seater, the Austin Ten Arrow Sports Four Seater, the Austin Seven Arrow "75" Competition 2 seater and the Austin Seven Arrow "65" Sports 2 seater. This is the latest advert that I have seen.

I hope this helps.
Bryan

I forgot, Jim Blacklock's Email is jb.na7c@tesco.net
Bryan

H.A.Saunders were certainly still prospering in High Road, North Finchley as late as May 1953, when they had a full page advertisement in the Coronation edition of Motor.

I am pretty sure they were still active in the sixties though I do not know what was the eventual end. Probably swallowed by a bigger fish.

Mike

In that same copy of Motor there are a number of entries in the small ads, all of which proclaim H.A.Saunders - "Austin Distributors and Sole Proprietors Austin Arrow Coachwork".

Purves Source Book tells us that they were manufactured by 'Arrow Coachworks Ltd' at 99, Boston Road, Hanwell W.7.

It may be of slight interest that this building/business subsequently became 'Coachcraft' who had a lot to do with Railtons.

Finally it became 'University Commercials', the Coachwork arm of University Motors. UM were the London Distributors of MG.

Mike

Thanks to all for this info. I've in turn annoyed Jim and now Bryan with my queries. Cheers, Bill

Re: Re: Re: Arrows

Hi There Bill
Sorry but I have only just discovered this website and happened across the correspondence on Arrows (I am at last dragging myself into the New Age!!).
As to your comment about annoying me with previous Arrow questions, it is certainly not the case. I'm only too happy to help if I can, but only profess to be a beginner with respect to things to do with Arrows, especially compared with Bryan's knowledge on the cars.
How did things turn out with your mate & the Aussie Arrow?
Cheers
Jim

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Thanks to all for this info. I've in turn annoyed Jim and now Bryan with my queries. Cheers, Bill