Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Torque tube ball joint

Bit of help/advice please.

First of all, does anyone have an exploded drawing of how the torque tube ball joint is assembled, as well as the chassis mount. Last time out I took up a bit of slack, but it looks like it's all been used up and the threaded ring is now right up against it's top.

Also, I think there should be a pre-load spring in the chassis mount shouldn't there? Mine's just got a spacer and I think it's over tight.

Finally, since my last outing I've got a chattering noise coming from the back end which I think is coming from the dampers - any ideas? Only manifests itself on rough surfaces. Smooth tarmac is nice & quiet.

Just thought I'd ask before doing any strip down.

Re: Torque tube ball joint

Hi Reckless

pages 152,311 and 345 of the source book have pics of the torque tube. Not sure if they are any help.

Steve.

Recki..

The rear end chattering, are you sure all the rivets holding the the torque tube ball joint to the rear cross member are 'tight'.

Mine became loose after fitting a replacement rear brake drum that was not concentric, this caused snatching of the brakes and thus jerking of the rivets on the torque tube ball joint fixing.

Once I had ground off the rivets and bolted it all up tight (and got rid of the manky brake drum) no further problems.

Not an answer to your specific question, but something else to think about.

PS. Do you have the companion, or would you like me to email you copies of the pages mentioned.

Naomi

Hi Reckless,

There are three cross-sectional drawings of the ball joint in R J Wyatt, 'The Austin Seven'. If you don't have a copy let me know and I will email you the pictures.

As to the thread bottoming, the simplest method is to take off the 'magnfying glass' part of the assembly ( the bit that houses the torque tube ball and links to the chassis ) and face off the area that abuts the castelated screw-in nut. This will allow the nut to screw further into the housing.

Do make sure that the nut is securely locked into place afterwards as it is common for the fine threads to have been completely worn away and as the 'nut is not removeable from the torque tube ( except for the screw in type of torque tube ) a worn nut renders the torque tube useless as well !

regards

Thanks everyone.
Will take it to bits during the summer and if anything crops up in the meantime I'll let you know.