Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fuel Vapourisation - Again - after last summer

Last year in the heat, I think a lot of us after Cofton had fuel vaporisation problems, in the June issue if Practical Classics, a Ford Pilot owner had a question.

Q.....I own a 1950 Ford V8 Pilot. After 20 to 30 miles' driving the engine starts to die and can only be kept running by dipping the clutch and increasing engine revs. It seems OK when it's running at speed but eventually it will stop and won't restart until it's cooled.

I'm a member of the Ford V8 Owners' Club and after speaking to some knowledgeable owners here in Ireland I've fitted a rebuilt carburettor, distributor, radiator and fuel pump. The problem's still there and it gets worse in very hot weather.
Kevin Gormliy, via email

A.....You are not alone with these problems and you have addressed the right areas to make sure the car runs as cool as possible and that the fuel system is in good order. Volatility of some elements in modern petrol is extremely low, far lower than when your car was new. Some elements vaporise at 45'C so it's hardly surprising some cars suffer fuel problems. Modern car design copes better due to higher fuel pressures and the constant movement of fuel 'back to the tank’ - older systems where it sits in the pipes adjacent to the hot engine, especially when stationary in traffic, cannot cope. There are several ways you can improve your car's resistance to vaporisation. Check a low ' temperature thermostat is fitted (72° or 78° maximum) to make the engine run a little cooler.
Fit a heat soak spacer between the carburettor and its manifold. : Where possible, re-route fuel pipes so that they are well away from heat sources such as the engine block, exhaust pipe, exhaust manifold, coolant pipes and radiator If heat sources can't be avoided, lag the pipes with purpose-made insulators from a race equipment supplier such as Demon Tweeks (0845 3306254).

if this still fails, you will have to abandon the mechanical fuel pump and fit a remote electric pump, ideally in a cool place. The higher pressure could flood the float chamber - if that's a problem, use a pressure regulator.

Practical Classics, June 2006, Technical Advise, page 64.

This year we are told is going to be a scorcher, so looks like problems ahead, we can of course try some of the above advise, although 45’C seems a low temperature for vaporisation, and we can also make provision for the heat by such things as running the car without the bonnet side panels on. If you decide on this latter idea, make sure the rods can be easily knocked out, and you have a suitable strap or bungy to stretch between the bonnet catches without damaging or distorting the bonnet.

I’m sure you lads will have more to say on this matter, and also my experiences in a Ford Pilot, well it was a big car………………………! And I was young.

Naomi

Re: Fuel Vapourisation - Again - after last summer

I have just arrived back from Wiscombe VSCC. Journey up was unusual in that the Colander was not running right. After about 20 miles or so of fairly hard running I noticed that the engine would not take full throttle well? At light loads up to half throttle it was fine, but as sooon as an incline was encountered and I put my foot down the engine seemed to hold back and die away. If I eased off it picked up and ran fine. I suspected perhaps a blockage causing fuel starvation, but it ran fine if you slowed down for about 2 minutes and let it cool down. Weather was nice and warm and everything was hot.
On the way home it was absoloutely fine??!!
No problems at all, in fact it was flying along!
The difference was that it was very cool on the way home.
The question is perhaps this could have been fuel vaporisation?

Steve

p.s I will be in Menorca for a week as from tomorrow, so wont be able to reply to anyone for a week or so!

Re: Re: Fuel Vapourisation - Again - after last summer

"p.s I will be in Menorca for a week as from tomorrow, ..................!"

Should get plenty of vapourisation there then !

Mike

Re: Fuel Vapourisation - Again - after last summer

Fuel vapourisation in not something I have any personal experience of, thankfully. (Yes we do get hot days sometimes in Tasmania)I presume that vehicles equipped with a fuel pump rather than gravity feed might be more prone to such problems. I have also read somewhere that one of the reasons For Australia intoduced positive fuel venting with a return line back to the fuel tank was to help minimise vapour lock problems (as well as environmental considerations.

I came across this item on the Web by chance recently

http://www.chevrolet.com.au/articles/petrol.html

I am sorry but I lack the computer skills to enter this as a hyperlink.

It does seem to explain why these troubles are presenting themselves.

On the subject of Ford Pilots, I also recall that that other regal and well beloved personage , Her Late bandLamented Royal Highness, The Queen Mother had more than just a passing fondness for this particular motor car. In quite recent years there was a magazine article which showed an obviously delighted Queen Mother being feted by Ford Pilot collectors in the UK.

While I am unable to fully understand your veiled youthfull passion and fond memories for the model Naomi, perhaps you and the QM shared similar interests and experiences, as well of course, as both being well-beloved ladies of regal bearing, great grace, comeliness and charm!!!!

Regards

Barry R