Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Magmo Speedo on Ebay

Ebay item ref 4642670034 is a Magmo Speedo from our Star friend in Somerset, stating the speedo is in working order.... I would be a little suspect of that in view of the fact the tripmeter numbers seem to be all over the place.

I spoke to Sandy (of this Forum and who repaired a Magmo for me recently) about this speedo and he said they should line up if everythings in order...

Algie

Re: Magmo Speedo on Ebay

Yes, sometimes it can mean that the oddometer is not working when the numbers are not aligned. More often than not it is because someone has had the instrument apart bacause it has become faulty and then fiddled about with it without knowing what they're doing. There are many delicate parts in the Magmo that are easy to disturb or break, so rendering the Speedo useless. I would definitely steer clear of this one. It's probably just suitable for spares at £5, though generally these units give up very little of re-usable value.

Another item on offer from the same seller, 4642668178, a 6 volt petrol gauge for a Seven is definitely one that was never fitted to a Seven ! Furthermore, I have found that petrol gauges are notorious for not working, not working accurately or not working through their entire operating range. They need testing with a Seven tank sender unit wired in and with several known quantities of fuel to test for total accuracy. Judging by the large number of items for Auction by this seller, I wonder if he can possibly have the time and all the equipment to carry out these tests?
Clive

First, Algie indicated I said ".... everythings in order if they line up..", that's not true of course. What I said to Algie was to the effect that IF it's in good order, at least the numbers should line up.

Clive mentions there is little of use inside, I would agree, but the main part I go for is the brass gear wheel on the 'cam' shaft. This is the main part that fails, normally because the Mazak base casting has warped slightly and 'pinched' the part that follows the cam and pulls round the gear wheel to the numbers - I'm sure there are correct technical terms, they escape me at present - this locks the brass gear wheel, which is then worn away by the gear on the magnetic 'X' frame.

I have not found a ready supply for these brass wheels, although I had hoped to find some in the model railway hobby, the nearest I have at present is from HPC gears at about £10 each.

I collect old Magmo's to retrive any good parts and repair units for my local club only - Algie and Naomi's were a few non-members units I repaired following Cofton Park last year. Tony Betts has been most helpfull in my quest to find knackered units - saving them from the bin.

Sandy

Don't know much about speedos. My box has a later Smiths unit rather than the rotating drum, but it seems to work well enough. The fuel gauge is broken however, with the needle stuck at between 1/4 and 1/2 (due, I must admit, to my penchant for fiddling with things I know nowt about)

However, in order to give a decent idea of the level of fuel in the tank I have invented a revolutionary accessory called a stick, with notches cut on the side thereof corresponding roughly to 1 gallon, 2 galls, 3 galls etc. It works equally well whether you've got a 6 volt or 12 volt system. Do you think if I marketed the design on Ebay it would sell?

Hi Reckless,

To make your fortune on Ebay you would have to make a 'reproduction' of your stick and then sell it suggesting you know little about it but that you have been told it is an'original' stick.

Dear Mr . Reckless, As inventors of the famous "Grimshaws Turble blop" we have established our company as inovators. So, WE have alredy patented the Grimsaws "Dipper". This consists of a finely crafted stick to ascetain the contents of the fuel tank of the Austin. So nothig is new! WE issue a warning with our product. "It is advisable to shield the operation of dipping the tank from the eyes of the ladies , in case it causes offence". H .Grimshaw

We have special bambo sticks for the measuring of petrol level. The Bambo shoots are harvested at the correct time when the bands are at the right intervals to measure the depth of fuel, we cut bambo for US gallons and litres. The shoots are hardy, but color quickly to show petrol level - they also dry quickly. If UK want special UK gallons, we make special harvest of shoots.

We understand there are two types of tank, front and rear. We already make in China a model of the front tank Austin 7 and our existing bambo shoots are for this car, if shoots wanted to give depth of rear tank we can do.

Forget Ebay, just visit our factory site at www.yingyanyong.com to place order at 1GBP per shoot.

Ying...

And here's me thinking I had a cunning plan that was so cunning you'd have thought it had been conjoured up by a fox who had just graduated from the University of Cunning Plans.

Percy, go out into the street and tell the world the Lord Reckadder is going back to the drawing board.

Baldrick, just go out into the street.

Dunno what you're on but can I have some ?

JIM

Re: Re: Magmo Speedo on Ebay

Now look what you have done!!!

Someones got one on ebay now, probably been reading this forum!

Wonder what it will fetch!

Steve.

Dear Jim,

Lagavulin single Islay malt, watered down with another Lagavulin.