Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Austin Seven 'Made in Germany' ?

Have you seen the Pearl on ebay item number 4641931013 the seller seems to think it was made in Germany by the statement "One of the last Austin 7's for the British market to be made in Germany in the 1930's".

Have I missed something in the history of Austin Sevens?

Re: Austin Seven 'Made in Germany' ?

Isnt the German made A7 name is "Dixie"

Left hand drive Nippies Speedy (s) Box saloons Rubies etc where certainly made for the German market and somewhere in the back of my mind I recall seeing a name plate for German constructed Austins (Not BMW).Where they assembled there???

Re: Re: Austin Seven 'Made in Germany' ?

LHD Type 65s and Nippys were assembled and market in Germany by Willys-Overland-Crossley GMBH of Berlin.

Small numbers of LHD Rubies were manufactured at Longbridge. At least one exists in Holland that was exported there from new.

STEVE

Re: Re: Re: Austin Seven 'Made in Germany' ?

My very first post!
We have a Willys Overland Crossley ARQ Ruby from 1936. It is LHD and was built like that, not converted. My theory is that it was mainly assembled at Longbridge and then exported. In Germany a few things were assembled like the switch in the instrument panel. Some items were Bosch, not Lucas. The wiring loom is different as the cut out and other stuff is at the left side. The engine is like the British made, not mirror image. The steering box is special and made for LHD. All the nuts and bolts are BSF and BSW.

Henrik

Henrik, welcome to this International Forum for the Austin 7, Dixi, Rosengart and US Bantam. We sometimes need a different perspective on our cars, and although we sometimes (often) go off topic, the underlying theme is for greater knowledge, you have contributed well.

Naomi

I am glad I asked the question now !

Is this information documented anywhere ? If not perhaps those with the information could see that it is written up in the Association 'Grey' ( sorry Ruairidh ! ) magazine.

You are never too old to learn.

"Buff" magazine Malcolm!

I have published two articles about Willys Overland Austin Sevens, one in the special "Ruby" edition and another in the the magazine imediately following that one, also a letter from Ken Cooke about a Willys Overland Nippy if I remeber correctly. I don't have either to hand to say exactly which and what page etc. but will look up tonight and let you know.

Hope this helps and if you want more information please encourage those who know to write it down.

Cheers

R

For those who have the source book, try looking at the 1933 pages, there is some info there.

Steve

Hi Ruairidh

I stand 're-buffed'. I think I will change my bedtime reading and catch up on all matter A7.

You mean you have time for things other than A7's.

Tell us how you do it, considering all the excellent work you do for the A7 movement.

Phillip

wir haben uns vor 2 Monaten den Austin seven (Willys Saloon LHD), Bj. 1932 gekauft. Im Austin seven Source Book auf Seite 368 zu sehen.
Weiß jemand, wieviel austin seven LHD in Deutschland noch fahren?
Gruß
Eve

My free translation service gives the following for the message in German:

We have ourselves 2 months ago the Austin seven (Willys Saloon LHD), Bj. 1932 bought. To see in the Austin seven source Book on side 368. Does someone know how many austin seven LHD in Germany yet go? Greeting Eves

hello malcolm,

thank you

some pics from "Baby Austin", living in Germany

Re: Re: Re: Re: Austin Seven 'Made in Germany' ?

http://islacontadora.de/

greeting
Eve

Eve, The car looks very good.welcome to the forum.

hi mac,
thank you.
we are very proud .
my englisch is so bad .... i can more read than write

eve

Eve, Yes your web site looks good, but so I can check which car this is, can you supply the Chassis Number please.

If you don't know where to look, go to www.a7ca.org and click on Chassis Register and in the heading text there is a reference to 'Quote this Number' (The webmaster is due to make this a specific short web address I believe, soon...).

Question, there are two 'Registration Numbers' or 'Number Plates' shown... DA DR 732H and MEI SV 18H, why is this, what system do you have in Germany for Number Plates, are they changed each year?

Sandy Croall

PS - Mac, Eve will get the Replies quantity up by this method, lets hope it doesn't catch on.....

cassis: 158267
Eng-Nr: 158121
Car-Nr: B6-1670

Reg-No.od mr 75 (we buy it from mr. reinecke)

greets
eve

>>Question, there are two 'Registration Numbers' or 'Number Plates' shown... DA DR 732H and MEI SV 18H, why is this, what system do you have in Germany for Number Plates, are they changed each year?<<

no we dont change it everiy year.
the man we buy it lives in the city : meissen (MEI)
now the car (or the owner) lives in Darmstadt (DA)

Re. Number of Austin Sevens with LHD, worldwide, let alone Germany, there are probably only about a dozen (12).

I know I'm the one who is the most likely to have this information most readily available as A7CA Registrar, so another little task to do before I go to bed toniht. I will let you know on Friday.

Sandy Croall, Registrar A7CA.

Eve, many thanks for the information.

I see the Reg. Nos are similar to France, in that they relate to the place/area the car is normally at 'Home' in, or where the owner lives.

Another matter cleared up.

Sandy

Don't forget the Willys Overland, Crossley Luxus limousine of 1932, LHD RN saloon for short.
Whilst we are on the subject of German Austins what does Wagengewicht and zulassige Belastung mean? They are on the a Willys Overland Crossley 1937 nippy works plate and refer to weight.

Dave,

Wagengewicht means Weight of car

zulassige Belastung probably means permitted loading (i.e. maximum weight allowed to be carried).

David

more info about our Austin seven, made in Germany from
Willys Overland Crossley, Berlin:

http://www.islacontadora.de/typenschild.jpg

hi Sandy,

>>I see the Reg. Nos are similar to France, in that they relate to the place/area the car is normally at 'Home' in, or where the owner lives.<<

the reg-Nr. OD-MR 75 is fron Germany, not france

Page 6 of 2004D has a photo of the plate I mentioned, giving Wagengewicht as 650 Kg and zulassige Belastung of 310 KG and this is for a 1937 Nippy. Now the unladen weight of our RN is 600 Kg, I'd had it on the public weight bridge out of curiosity just before I received the magazine. So surely a nippy isn't heavier than a box and where can you get 310 Kg in a Nippy? Thats two 24 stone bodies!

This is from the -36 mk I Ruby: (hope the link works)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

www.austin-seven1932.de

last week we visit the beaulieu autojumble. it was great! wonderful! we buy many parts for our baby
next year we go again to beaulieu

Eve,

Come to stand Y438 in the yellow field and say 'Hello'

Malcolm