Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Competition Commission - Lucas history.

Barry Riseley commented at the end of a recent posting under Dynamos and Distributors, or whatever, the following. As that thread has already become quite long, and this is off topic to that particular set of excellent answers, I have started again.

Barry said - - -

'Oh what a tangled web we (or was it Joe Lucas) weave.... etc.'

I came across this report by the Competition Commission, on the supply of electrical equipment, whilst seeking something else the other day. Apart from being a rather dry report, produced in the sixties if I remember correctly, there are chapters on the major players of the day.

Within each chapters is an excellent, and no doubt thorougherly researched history of the company. I give below the web address for the Lucas offering. As you will see they are PDF files of the original document.

(put the following address all in one line on your browser)

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/rep_pub/reports/1960_1969/fulltext/025c03.pdf

Now hands up; Who knew, for example, that A. Rist of horn fame was a Lucas company???

Mike

Re: Competition Commission - Lucas history.

Thorougherly, or even thougherly researched! Not thoroughly researched enough obviously.

Mac, Jason, what are the chances of a spell checker for duffers like me? Microstuff does not click in on this page unfortunately.

Mike

Thanks for all that Mike.

I have the two volume tome "Lucas The first 100 years" published in the 1970's, obviously, as part of their centenary celebrations, but the article you refer to is much more succinct.

I have alsways thought that the story about the dire circumstances that UK (and the Empire) faced in 1914 when virtually the world's cutting edge in vital magneto technology was in "enemy hands" to be fascinating.

I will have a good read this evening.

If you only knew the number of web trawls I have done on "Lucas" you would understand my amazement that I have never picked this reference up previously.

Thanks

Barry R.

Mike, a spell checker, well you could write up the item in MSWord, or whatever's your word processing software, run the 'spell-checker' (then tweak for English) and copy all and paste into the 'box' of this Forum.

OR, you could have the help of someone close to you looking over your shoulder.....

Auntie Naomi

Re: Re: Competition Commission - Lucas history.

Auntie,

You are a star! I have indeed used the ploy you suggest but it is a mite long-winded. I think I will continue to drive (as ever) by the seat of my pants, at least most of the time.

Enjoy the weekend.

Your nephew

Mike

Jason and I have taken on board you comments... We are both out of spare time at the moment.He has had a touch of "the drains". much expence and Disruption.And our whole road hes been without phones for about a week , so this has disrupted every thing. Saving grace I still have broad band. Thank you all for your great support of the Forum. mac

Mike.... ".. seat of your pants.." eh, no wonder the Rat sits on your hat, about the furthest it can get away, without actually leaving you..... For everyone else, Mike normally promenades around Rallies with his wide brimmed hat supporting a Rat!

Naomi

Re: Re: Competition Commission - Lucas history.

Yeah, but Radar the rat is sensitive to those police hair-dryer thingies, and I haven't been booked since I had him.

Mike