Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Instant Affinity

G'day, This could end up a wee bit off topic, so if so, I appologise in advance:

Here on Oz TV is the 2004 re-run of the original 1907 Peking to Parris Motor race. One of the participating vehicles is a reproduction of the French Contal 3 wheeler (originally lost in the Gobi desert). When I first saw this vehicle I felt an immediate affinity for it. Yesterday I discovered why. The reproduction was put together in Sydney (for the princely sum of $50,000) using Austin Seven bits! It looks like the front half uses an Austin chassis & wheels, the back half looks like a water cooled motorcycle of the day (1907).

Does anyone have any info/pictures on/of the original Contal or could point me to the same? Internet searches seem to always point back to the re-run race.

Thanks,
DG

Re: Instant Affinity

Hello Dennis,

I have tried to look up the "Contal" in Georgeano's "Encyclopedia of Motor Cars 1885 to the Present" and can't find it in there.

That seems to contradict their claim that the book contains details on every car ever made!

Sorry,

Barry R.

Re: Re: Instant Affinity

Hi Dennis

Try ebay item 6620992576 ???

p.s encyclopedia of motor vehicles 1885 to present is a very good reference, strange that theres no mention of Contal?

Steve.

Re: Re: Re: Instant Affinity

G'day Steve,
That's amazing! Thanks for the reference, I didn't even think of looking on eBay! It is interesting to note though that it bears little resemblance to the "reproduction" made for the race, or should I say that the other way around? Thanks for your help.

See, isn't this forum wonderful? (and diverse).

Cheers from down under,
DG

Re: Re: Re: Re: Instant Affinity

Hi Dennis - I have "The Mad Motorists" (the full account of the journey), but unfortunately it's an Advance Proof Copy (Unrevised & confidential !!) which doesn't contain the proposed maps & half-tone illustrations. If however it gives a useable description of the Contal when I get around to looking it up, I'll email any relevant details direct. Cheers, Bill