Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ZENITH 22FZ CARBURETTER

I recently picked up a 22FZ Carburetter which I intend to rebuild.

Obviously it has a bonze body but the bowl top is some sort of zinc or aluminium alloy.

I have looked at several other similar carburetters and they are the same.

Does anyone know if that is normal? I would have thought the bowl top would have been bronze.

Regards

Barry R

Re: ZENITH 22FZ CARBURETTER

It sounds to me as if you have the top from a later 29-31 type carb'. They are exactly the same so far as I know, just made of a different material.

I am about to publish an article in the next Associatio Magazine by Steve Hodgson which explains the evolution of all the carbs fitted to production models, lots of pictures to help too. The next mag should be out mid-July. I understand they are being distributed at the Cambridge A7 Ckub Rally.

Hope this helps.

Ruairidh

Hi, Barry,Ruairidh is right .The top is from the later 22fzb carb. Made of a composition material called masack( i think that's how it is spelt) it was a bad move as the stuff degrades. The bronze carb had a bronze top of course.

Re: Re: ZENITH 22FZ CARBURETTER

Thanks Ruairidh and Mac,
That makes sense, but I was getting confused - I have looked at four carbies and they all have "Mazack" (or whatever - boiled down Sopwith Camels I reckon) I think I had better invest in a replacement.
Regards
Barry R.

I think the problem with zinc die cast carburettors, fuel pumps, door handles, PA speedos etc is the same as that which affects some pre war Dinky toys. I quote from Hornby Dublo 1938-1964 by Michael Foster these models are made from Mazac 5 comprising 4% Aluminium, 0.04% Magnesium, 1.0% Copper and 94.86% Zinc and the Zinc must have a purity level of 99.9%. The accidental intrusion of just 0.1% lead in the metal mix is sufficient to produce a a cracked or powdery casting in due course of time. The problem was most severe in the late 1930s with reports of the workmen saying that on occasions the wire binding the sack of zinc portions was thrown into the melting pot whilst on another occasion the silver paper from a cigarette packet went in. It was reported that when Meccano opened their disply of prewar models in 1946 some had disintegrated on the shelves. The changeover to war material production and the high quality control neccesary improved the situation and modern zinc die castings do not suffer the same problem.
So remember this the next time you think about buying a 22FZB at an autojumble-look for any signs of powdering of the casting.
Happy autojumbling, Dave
I see you have an editing programme which deletes the old slang 3 letter word for cigarette.

Thanks for that Dave, Don't understand the editing program and slang term for cigarette bit though... perhaps I am dumb?

Regards

Barry R

Re: Re: Re: ZENITH 22FZ CARBURETTER

The slang term "fa......g" is probably blocked because it is a derisory term used to describe someone of alternative sexual persuasion.

steve.

I tried to put f a g packet, if I leave the spaces out you get *********** So there is an editing program to remove offending words.

.............but not a spell checker!

Ain't life grand?

Mike

Just goes to show what a sheltered life I have led.
Barry R.

Mazak castings - did anyone pre-war (WW2) expect them to last a long time. OK they would have had some life expectancy, say 20 years, but not 60 - 80 years surely.

Naomi