Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
dist cap

hi folks,
I'm looking for a distributor cap for my Austin 7 - 1934. It's got a DKY4A distributor. The cap on it is Lucas and has the number 418893 inside it. Any idea what the reference number is for the cap ?
Thanks,
Dave

Re: dist cap

Hi Dave

I think Tony Leslie has some remanufactured ones.
If not I think you have to source good second hand.
No doubt our resident Lucas experts will have more info!

Steve

Dave,

You say a DKY4A dizzy, A7's are DK4A's. The correct Dizzy cap (for a 1934 - 39 auto advance A7 dizzy) is Lucas Part No. 400135, Quentin Hazell do the same with ref. XR 31.

But when the sun rises over in Oz/Tas, then I'm sure we will get the definitive answer.

Naomi

Hello Dave,
If you have a DKY4A then you need a 409563 cap.This is the same cap that is fitted to MG TC and they are available fairly readily. The DKY4A is not, of course, a standard Austin 7 fitment. It was not available until about 1946/47. In essence, it is the same distributor as fitted to MG TC, Morris 8 Series E (where it was known as DKYH4A because it came with "Horizontal" plug lead outlets rather than screw caps) Side Valve Minors, Jowett Javelin, Austin A40 etc. This is a very good Distributor butI do hope that the advance curve arrangements were taken in to account when the unit was converted for Austin Seven Service.

If you do in fact have a DK4A Distributor, which is the standard Austin Seven fitment 1934 to 1939, then you need a 400135 cap ( although there is rarer one which will fit, I think 400314 which has the Austin firing order marked on the outside)

If you are unsure about just what Distributor you have, please feel free to email me direct, and give me the details of the various "writings" on the little plate on the side of the distributor body,if it is a DK4A, or stamped into the Diecast body of the Distributor if it is a DKY4A. There should be a six figure number, or a five figure, plus maybe a letter, which are sometimes preceded by a symbol which looks like an upside down Merceded Benz symbol. That is the Lucas Service number, although the other numbers give info too.

I am not at home at the moment and can't look up catalogues till this evening. The 418893 number doesn't ring a bell but I will look it up later.

I don't wish to kill the sale of all after market parts, but there are some terrible stories about concerning failure of some modern manufacture "consumables" but particularly rotors. These parts which are maufactured in Asia,have a reputation for poor insualtion and early demise.

Get a guaramtee if you purchase such items and buy NOS if you can.

Regards

Barry R

Re: Re: dist cap

Thanks for the info folks.
Barry - the full code is DKY4A *409641, also has BP75 on it. It's not DKYH4A but the cap has side entry leads !
Don't know if the advance has been modified, but it seems to run well enough
Thanks again,
Dave

Re: Re: Re: dist cap

Hello Dave,

Your Distributor was originally specified for Singer 9 and 10 circa 1946 -1950.

It is the correct rotation for Austin Seven.

Hopefully though, the Action Plate, which governs the total automatic advance was changed when the Distributor was modified to fit the Austin Seven.

I say that because the Distributor, as originally equipped, had a total advance of 16 to 18 degrees (Distributor) which is about twice that specified for the Austin Seven. Added with a bit of wear in the mechanism, that could translate to a radical total advance in A7 terms.

If it has not been modified, I sincerely hope that you have a very stout crankshaft.

The only difference between a DKY and DKYH Distributor is the Cap. The last time I tried to obtain Horizontal Type in UK they were unavailable.

Go carefully

Barry R

Re: Re: Re: Re: dist cap

Thanks again folks,
I got a suitable cap - 409635 - from Tim Hodgekiss - www.vintagemotorspares.com for £11.87 + carr + vat.
Also got other bits required. Tim seemed knowledgeable and willing to discuss issues.
Cheers...
Dave

must go now...the sun's shining and I've a car to drive !