Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Starting Handle for a Opal

Can any one help. At a car show last year some kind person stole the starting handle off my 1937 Opal.

I gather these are like hens teeth to replace, can anyone give me some leads as to who may have one for sale

Re: Starting Handle for a Opal

Try (in no particular order):
Wayne Rushin 0116 284 8970
Tony Betts 0116 286 7522
Tony Leslie 01323 833603
Dave Williams 01225 866142

Good luck!
David

Re: Re: Starting Handle for a Opal

My Opal Kadette doesn't have one , are you sure your car did ? Gaz

Re: Re: Re: Starting Handle for a Opal

P.S Don't you mean '87 ?

Dear Gaz,

Maybe a little before your time but back in the mid 30's dear old Herbert Austin produced an Austin Seven Opal, a lovely little open tourer, just the ticket for these balmy summer days. Now 'modern' Opals are not for me but everyone to their own !

I admit to being on the wrong site . I just put opal in google . I do not know what an mid 30's Herbert Austin Seven Opal is but there is an old Ducatti car in a shed behind a neighbours house by me . I did not know they made cars before motorbikes ! Are they similar ? Gaz

I think you must mean Bugatti which is a car .

I don't know of that name , the badge is quite rough , it is red with white letters , I just thought it was Ducatti . Gaz

It would be interesting if it were a Ducatti but the badge sonds like a Bugatti which is a shame because they are not very good cars and have very little value.

I don't think it has any value , it looks as if it hasn't been used for 50 years , the body is all chalky looking and if you rub it it crumbles in tyour hand ! Definately for the scrap man . Gaz

Sounds like you are right there, even if it were in good condition I think your neighbour would have a job getting rid of it if it were a Bugatti . Does it have a horse shoe shaped radiator , I assume its a 2 seater? Dont let anyone persuade your neighbour they are worth anything if they do its probably because they are after the tyres which are the same size as used on the Humdrum 4, now theres a rare car!

The tyres are no good . Gaz

Well thats it ,trouble is the scappie will want paying to take it away suggest your neighbour breaks it into small pieces with a sldge hammer and puts a little in the dustbin each week

Ive just had a thought ,to save your neighbour all that trouble and work maybe |I could take it away ,out of the goodness of my heart you understand,I have no interest what so ever in obtaining a Bugatti for nothing.Cant think what Im going to do with it.

I'll ask her tonight.Gaz

Thanks if Ok Ill pop round about 6 O/C tomorrow morning not that Im anxious you understand it just suits my timetable

Don't you mean evening ! Gaz

No sorry has to be the morning I have an appointment at Sotherbys.Nothing to do with the worthless car you understand I was going anyway

I don't think she will be up until about 8.00 in the morning , can you make it another day . Gaz

Are you trying to put obstacles in my way Im only trying to help

I don't think it is me , lets forget it then . Gaz

Lets not be so hasty

Careful David, sounds like a scam

Realy?

No, it wasn't a scam.
I collected it on my trailer tonight. Apparently nobody else would go because the Football was on. Lucky old me.

Congrats on your acquisition - but you forgot to tell us whether this fabulous, desireable machine turned out to be a Scam (great cars, those Scams), or a Bugatti, or a Ducati, or ...... . Not quite on the same theme but reminds me somehow of a nuisance who once claimed my '25 Chummy was previously his (and I knew full well it wasn't), he claimed it was the same year, the same model, the same type of hood, the same colour, etc etc ad nauseum, then finished off by saying "but ours was a Morris". Cheers, Bill

Hold on a minute I did all the negotiation and someone with a very similar name has got the car , whats going on?

I have spoken to the lady who owns the car , it is a Bugatti type 23 ( made in 1923 ? ) , with a boat type body . The ladies husband died 10 years ago ands the car was left to her two sons , they have not bothered with it . It is pretty rough . I have had a look on some web sites and they are worth some big money , why did you say they were worth nothing ? Gaz

Ha Ha. You are right. It is a Bugatti and now it is all mine !

No !! It is not - I have been to see and it is still there ! Gaz

My namesake is at it again ,but the car cant be in two places at the same time maybe there are two cars