Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Adhesive for running board rubbers

I have been trying without success to attach some replacement running board rubbers to new replacement running boards on an RP. I have tried "Time Bond" and "Impact", both of which are made by Evo stick. The lower edge of the rubbers detaches itself almost immediately even after clamping down for 24 hours. Anyone any advice on other adhesives to try that work?
Ashley

Re: Adhesive for running board rubbers

I have a note - somewhere - on sticking the rubbers to the running boards, I will try and find it tonight in my Office (note for Dennis G....). It is also important the paint etc you have used on the metal, unless your sticking direct to bare metal.

If no one else has replied by tomorrow morning, I should have some details which Malcolm Watts of Cornwall Club gave me.

Sandy

Try 'Sicoflex', I think that is how you spell it !
It is a marine sealer/adhesive which certainly sticks!!. If you get it on your hands then remove it with thinners or petrol before it dries( don't let the H&S people know! ) otherwise you will have black hands until it wears off.

It is available from most good boat chandlers and comes in various sizes.

Do wipe the underside of the rubber mat with thinners to remove any mould release agent ( silicone ) from the rubber mat and score the underside with the edge of a hacksaw blade to roughen it up a little. If you have painted the metalwork then the bond will be as good as the paint adhesion.

When I glued mine on I made up a flat bar about 1 1/2" wide, the length of the upright part of the rubber with four holes to match the running board attachment holes in the bottom of the vertical face of the rubber ( the bit with the logo on ). I then applied the glue to this vertical surface only and stuck the rubber on using the bar to pull it full in at the bottom. I then glued the tread surface of the running board and clamped this down with a flat board cut to size and finally glued the turndown edge using another piece of wood clampinf this in place. There is no need to separate the upright and horizontal parts as has been suggested in the past. I did mine about 3 years ago and they have not moved.

Like you I tried all the other types of glue, incuding floor tile glue. all were a waste ot time.

email me if I can be of more assistance.

Re: Re: Adhesive for running board rubbers

I think it might be "Sikaflex"

I have used it in the past and Malcolm is spot on, it will stick anything.

Like Sh*t to a blanket is the expression you are looking for I believe

Steve

p.s search for Sikaflex on the net , there is quite bit of info and supplier details.

Now I've found the details in my 'Office', I see (as I suspected he would) Malcolm's already replied, still the 'Office' has been moved around and I've found some other mislaid items.

Sandy

I see Malcolm says "... If you have painted the metalwork then the bond will be as good as the paint adhesion".

A hint there to be wary of..... in my notes from Malcolm, he suggests wiping the bare metal with cellulose thinners to clean the metal then applying the Sickaflex for a strong joint.

Many thanks Malcolm, I do listen to what you say and write it down, just I cannot find where I've put the info. sometimes when I actually need it.

Sandy

Malcolm - Is that why the Cornwall lads are known as the 'Black Hand Gang'?

Naomi.....

Re: Re: Adhesive for running board rubbers

Many thanks for all the replies. I will now visit the local chandlers........!
Regards,
Ashley

Re: Re: Re: Adhesive for running board rubbers

For what it is worth, there is now quite a range of these "Sikaflex" or whatever products available.
My son is restoring a very old (by Tasmanian standards anyway) building and is using a "Sikaflex" squeeze out product on certain areas which can actually be "sanded" and although a cacky brown colour, may well be useful for patching blemishes in things like running board rubbers etc.

Regards

Barry R