Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Colander Two.

I am pleased to report I now am the proud owner of two colanders.

The diesel modern has managed to bust its radiator!
Inspection has shown the leaking radiator to be much worse than the dripping drain tap on the Seven, so the Colander has been pushed up into front line service! I will be using it tommorow to go into Plymouth and collect the new rad.
The good old Seven just keeps going with me pouring fluids in one end whilst they leak out the other end, no problem at all compared to the modern with all those pesky bleed valves and complicated cooling pipe routes!!

The 19 inch wheels are excellent, although the Avon sidecar tyres are quite a bit different to the Avon SM Mk 2's on the 17 inch's. There is not as much grip and the steering doesnt feel quite so responsive or smooth?? Any thoughts ?

Regards

Steve

p.s the total loss lubrication system is getting worse so another strip down is looming!
p.p.s Anna loves the new windscreen, we can have a conversation at 40mph and hear every word, although if I want peace and quiet I can fold the screen down and pretend I cant hear her!

Re: Colander Two.

Steve, I know you will have checked the tracking and the various nuts on the axle fittings but these can cause 'lively' steering. Also tyre pressures have an effect. Don't forget because of the radiused cross section of your previous tyres you had a very small 'footprint' on the road, slightly increasing this will make the steering a little heavier.

You may need to 'tweak' the caster angle as described in the green 'Companion' book. I would think pressures of around 22 to 24 PSI would be more than enough for your light little car.

How about a revised photo for the magazine? complete with screen.

Re: Re: Colander Two.

Thanks Malcolm

All suspension parts etc seem to be OK.

Tyre pressures are about 22 ish.

I have the sidecar tyres on the front and your motorcycle tyres on the back. I think it would be a good experiment to put your 19 inchs on the front, because they have a similar profile to my old Avons. This would prove a point, although it does feel like its "steering" a bit more from the back, so perhaps I ought to fit the sidecar tyres all round realy to balance things up?
I have also considered trying some 19 inch SM Mk2's if they are available?
the Vintage Knowledge website has a good thread on this subject, but without much of a conclusion?

The spare wheel is also living in its 3rd home!!!
Its now on the passenger side of the cockpit were hopefully it will stay!!

Perhaps I will send Mac and Jason some pics for the site

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Colander Two.

Steve,
If oversteer is the problem I would try increasing the rear tyre pressures to about 26psi, doing this transformed the handling of my Nippy after spending weeks messing about with the camber/castor angles, tracking, shock absorbers etc.
Dave Griffith

Re: Colander Two.

I run the TT car on solid centre 19s with Avon sidecar until Blockley release their wonderful triple stud 3.50 x19. When the car first went back on the road handled badly at 20psi gradually increased pressures to 35psi and now it handles beautifully under power even when trying hard at Wiscombe.

Re: Re: Colander Two.

Thanks to all for your comments.

I think some experimentation with pressure will be worthwhile. I shall be spectating at shelsley VSCC, so may "ask around" there to see what the general feeling is on pressures?
Its interesting that the SM Mk 2's were very good at 22 psi?

Steve