Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sackcloth and Ashes

OK, just had the Scottish Clubs latest Newsletter and I see it's 75m to the pub from the camp site at the Guildtown Rally.

I queried this as either 75 miles or minutes seems to be a long way'a'way.

I'm told 'm' is METRES.

Hang my head in shame. Still I am in Cornwall and everything here is Imperial, ah, I presume the Scot's have shaken of the mantle of their imperial masters in the south.

Sandy

Re: Sackcloth and Ashes

Not everything in Cornwall is imperial, take a close look at your Zenith carburettor and you will find that millimeters have crept in. Well at least the pub will be selling pints, but what of? Hopefully something like Wallace or Fraoch, two excellent ales, perhaps Ruairidh can enlighten us.
Dave

I can't speak for the pub I'm afraid (when I was last in booking if for dinners on the Saturday I was on the lemondae and lime), but we (well Andrew Goodfellow - by name and by nature-), have ordered four barrels of Inveralmond Brwery's Ales for the Ceilidh on Saturday. I trust these WILL meet with your approval Dave, you certainly did a fair bit of sampling last year, and the year before and before that I remember......or do I???

I have a feeling you will enjoy the attendance award this year also.......

See you there,

Ruairidh

Re: Re: Sackcloth and Ashes

I once saw in a book that the speed of light was 300 000 000 m/s. This I thought was awfully fast, thinking the "m" to be miles!! It was of course "m" for metres which is still awfully fast , nearly as fast as the Colander down hill out of gear in fact.
I think the correct way to put miles per second is "mi/sec" .

Steve

p.s I have a three volume "book of the motor car" by Rankin, published in 1912 in England it has measurements in millimetres!

Steve

How fast have you recorded with Colander down hill out of gear?

Coming back from Longleat, I had 58.2mph on the A30 dip by Jamaica Inn (this is from the daily 'Max speed' on the bicycle speedo some of of us have fitted on our A7's down here). As the wheels are not balanced on the RP saloon, I don't think I would want to go any faster.

Max speed with the engine, was just over 50mph.

Sandy

Re: Re: Sackcloth and Ashes

Sandy
I've never checked the speedo for calibration, The 5.625 axle ratio probably means it is out. At 30 ish in a 30 zone I seem to be doing the same speed as everyone else, although the needle doesnt exactly hold a steady reading! I "cruise" with the needle wavering between 45 and 55mph which seems comfortable. On the way to Wiscombe I knocked it out of gear going down Halden hill (A38 near Exeter) and seem to remember reaching something like 65 mph at the bottom indicated reading, which may or may not be accurate. On the flat under engine power I can get the speedo to read between 60 and 70 mph, but I doubt that I am actually going that fast, and things are sounding strained at that speed!

I have heard a rumour that the goverment have fitted grey boxes beside the road which help calibrate speedos? Apparently if you manage to go past the magic sixty they write you a letter and can even provide a picture if you want. This seems awfully kind of them , I wonder if many people are using the service?

Grey?, some vandals have painted the two on the A30 between Penzance and Exeter (120 Miles) bright yellow - yes there only 2, one in Roseworthy dip near Hayle and the other one's at the Junction for Tedburn St Mary (I think it's called that) about 15 miles west of Exeter). There is also a mobile police van, so beware.

Now when I was up in Walsall recently, these yellow boxes seemed to be every 200 yds, a very helpfull calibration service. I wonder if the density of boxes is related to the population of an area.

Sandy