Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rear main Mod

Can anyone give me the part number of the ‘Lip seal’ for the rear main bearing cover Mod. for the 1 5/16” crank.
Have been digging through my bits for a spiral bearing cover to modify and have found a Steel one, part number 1A1015 A. with 1 15/16” hole. Is my memory playing tricks as I thought they were all aluminium? If so what do the steel ones fit?

Re: Rear main Mod

The late ones are aluminium. The tin one sounds like it comes off a chummy engine. The tin plate retained a felt rear main seal . The seven workshop or Tony Leslie will have stock of the seal.

Re: Re: Rear main Mod

Thanks Mac,No its not the early tin type with the felt seal,it is exactly the same as the aluminium ones with the scroll oil return but it is made of steel/cast iron.

Re: Re: Re: Rear main Mod

Sounds like a repro. Wayne Rushin at Midshire Sevens turns them out of the solid and very good they are too - and no more expensive than a cast one.

Have an oil seal or two in the garage. Will post the dims/number later.

STEVE

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear main Mod

No Steve its not a repro as I have had it at least 30 years!It is not turned from solid but cast.

Re: Rear main Mod

Hi Ian, Good event over the weekend at Longleat, we will come again.

Your Steel / Iron bearing retaining plate. I have one also, and in the past I have had cast iron/ steel water manifolds, both top and side. The answer to your question is possibly the Thetis marine engine where several aluminium parts were replaced with cast iron parts. I also have ( I think I still have it )a cast iron ruby type nose cone and a cast iron sump pan. All very heavy but would stand up to the effects of the salt. Why there was not a steel crankcase I am not sure or rather I should say I haven't seen one.

I did modify my cast iron rear bearing plate to take an oil seal. I will see if I can find it and see what sizes are marked on it.

regards

Re: Re: Rear main Mod

Yes Malcolm, I did think that it might be a boat item as I have seen the other parts you list made in steel or sometimes bronze, and I did have a boat engine many years ago. I thought it might be better to use this for the mod rather than the alloy one. Did yours work out OK? Any details on the job and the seal number would be most appreciated.

Re: Re: Re: Rear main Mod

Yes. Thetis Engine does seem a likely explanation. The late and much missed Peter Fern had a few Thetis bits in his workshop. I particularly remember the CI sump - rather more robust than those we are used to!!

Rear Oil seal ref is: 187.281.5/16. IE; 1.87" ID, 2.81" OD and 5/16" thick. Available from all good bearing/seal suppliers.

STEVE

Re: Re: Re: Re: Rear main Mod

Many Thanks Steve,This is what this Forum is best at,just the job