Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A Propshaft Question

I hope I don't appear to sound too technically thick by posting this, but there seems to be a lot of wear in my propshaft sliding joint and I think this is manifesting itself in vibration when under load.

Before I start messing about with the ****ed thing, can they be repaired or is there a good old-fashioned bodge job (I'm good at them) which can help.

My car is a 33 Box but it may have a later type shaft fitted - both ends have Hardy Spicer joints.

I've pumped it full of grease but there's still a lot of movement (up & down, not longditudinal!)

I'm asking because working under the car sets off my vertigo and I don't want to have to do it unless it's absolutely necessary.

Ta va much

PS It's bloody hot down here!

Love Rekkers.

Re: A Propshaft Question

Sounds like it's what called kna***rd Bruce. Best repair is with a new one.

If you still lived in Sheffield that would be so easy - do you remember the prop shaft place on the A.61 just as you come into Grenoside from Birdwell? Still there and still making prop shafts. Last I had made was in Leeds at Dunning & Fairbank. All they need is the dimension, on level ground, between the faces of the gearbox and rear axle flanges and the diameter of those flanges. They do the rest. About £120 last time but that was about 5 or 6 years ago for a mate in Holland.

For those who do not have a full Hardy Spicer prop shaft on their 7, it is THE best modification you can do. The difference is unbelievable.

STEVE

Re: Re: A Propshaft Question

Reckers

See ebay item 32000284870.
Might be of interest to you?

Steve.

Thanks Steve (s) Yes I do know the place on the A61 and I think I might just have to bite the bullet and buy one!

Will be coming back at the end of the year for a wedding, and probably coming in the car so the Mem'Sahib can do some serious collateral damage to the credit card in Murderhell so I reckon it might be a good trade off! Will save on the postage too.

They normally take a week or so from ordering to delivery - at least they do at Dunning & Fairbanks.

If you're going to bite the bullet, let me know three or four weeks before you arrive and I'll get one ordered for you.

Murderhell!! God, I hate that place!!

STEVE

Need to ask the Mem'Sahib if I can have some pocket money first, but thanks for the offer. I'll be in touch!

what is a full hardy spicer prop & do u have a picture of one ,, i need A SHAFT FOR MY NIPPY mite as well get the better unit thanx

I've just had a couple made for various cars, I've been thinking about it for ages to try and improve the 'comfort factor' of the ride. I used a local firm, Bailey Morris in Eaton Socon, Cambs (http://baileymorris.co.uk/) 85 quid plus vat and a turnround in 24 hours. Not used one on the road yet, but they do appear to be the puppies privates. Obviously, this was a very easy solution for me as they are only 20 minutes drive away - perhaps not as simple for Rekkers!! hth - Hugh

Hi everyone. I shall be coming back to the UK at the end of October for my daughter's wedding and I've already been in touch with David Heward at 'Propshafts Greno UK' on the A61 just north of Sheffield. He tells me that he can do the job no problem, and can turn it round in a couple of days. Without seeing what needs to be done he's given me an estimate of no more than £80 plus vat which I don't think is too excessive for what's needed.

If any of you need the details they are:
Propshafts Greno UK
Penistone Rd
Grenoside
Sheffield S35 8QG
Tel: 0114 2467409

If you really must go to that MurderHell place, right now would be good a time to do it. Most of the ground floor is closed due to flood damage thus restricting the (sh)opportunities for wasting readies and the place is relatively deserted. At least it was when I went 19th.

The Mem'Sahib may well venture forth into that pit of Hades, but the nearest I shall get will be to drop her off outside. I think I'd rather have my eyes pierced with red hot needles.

Propshaft £80, Daughter's wedding £12,000 (at least), not having to go shopping in Meadowhell - priceless!

Last time I was at the Seven Workshop Dave had some "on the shelf" but talking to Dave Williams I understand that you have to move the longitudinal center chassis member sideways to give sufficient clearance. Ok if the body is off but otherwise a real pain. Can anybody who's fitted one give their experiences?

Hi - I assume that this what you're looking for? If so, details are here. It should fit all cars from 1934-39 (but the Nippy Parts List gives it a different part number - does anyone know why?). It can also be made to fit earlier cars, but you will need to shorten it and fit an adaptor at the front end. You might also have to bend the handbrake to clear it and fit a later flange to the pinion shaft.

Hope this helps.

David

I'm not sure, but does the Nippy have a six bolt flange on the end of the gearbox and pinion? Or was that only on the non Hardy Spicer UJ, the one between the Hardy Spicer and the fabric coupling?

I think you are more or less correct, Roy. Certainly my old type 65 (AKR 277, where are you now?) had six-bolt flanges both ends and those UJs with the big tin cover like a pudding basin. I think later Nippys had the usual "Ruby" type of prop shaft as in the linked illustration. I keep meaning to buy Chris Gould's "Nippy" book, then I'd know!

Regards, Stuart