Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Odd Coil

I have always had a suspicion that my 29 ‘Fabric Saloon’ Chassis no. 86470 was originally fitted with the strange square coil that is shown in the 29/30 parts list. A very good friend gave me one at Beaulieu yesterday; it is a brown Bakelite box with a ceramic cotton reel on the side that has a resistance coil around it topped off by a nickel disc with ‘battery’ stamped on it. It matches up exactly with the two original holes on the bulkhead of the car. It is not marked with any maker’s name, but has No. F 10242 on the top. Does anyone have one fitted to their car? Any information would be gratefully received.

Re: Odd Coil

I had always believed these were made by ML,thanks for your comments Ian re headlamps David

Hullo Ian,

I think David is right on the money!

There was an ML Coil and, I think, Distributor used for a short period on some cars after the introduction of Coil Ignition in 1928.They were suppied on an "as well as" basis, as Lucas/CAV items were also supplied on a mainstream basis.

There was one sold on Ebay recently and it came to Australia. I wrote to the successful buyer, seeking a photo if possible and details of any markings on the unit, without any response.

The ML company (and for that matter CAV) by that time were effectively part of the Lucas "family" and it would seem that Lucas must have had some problems in keeping up supplies of the then "new technology" coil ignition items.

I was told that the "stop gap" ML coils had a bad reputation in service, and you may be advised to either keep your item as a curio, or at least carry a spare if you fit it to your car.

I wonder if you would be able to arrange a photo for me, and if there are any heiroglyphics (I wish I knew how to spell that)on the unit to perhaps transcribe them for me. (Just would like to add the details to my records)

The last one I saw "in the flesh" was thirty+ years ago in Launceston Tasmania, and it had been removed from a car as "NBG"

Best regards,

Barry R.

You were tantalisingly close Barry, it's hieroglyphics.

Jeff (from the M.R. SIG / MVS)

Re: Re: Odd Coil

Thanks Barry,There are no other markings apart from those mentioned.Will be away for a few days.I will send pics when I return(wihout fail)

Re: Re: Odd Coil

Thank's Jeff,
I should be satisfied just being youthful and handsome, but I wish I could spell or that this site had a spell checker.
Regards
Barry R

Re: Re: Re: Odd Coil

Barry said ...........

"I wish I could spell or that this site had a spell checker."

Yes - I wish that as well.

Mike