Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
3 SPEED GEARBOX

I have to admit that gearboxes aren't my strong point but I've stripped and re-assembled a 3 speed box a number of times in the past without problems but this time it's different.

I've removed clutch shaft/levers, the selector arm assembly, the gearbox front cover (without loosing any shims)and now come to the 3rd motion shaft and rear cover where I have met my problem. I've removed the cover nuts & washers, tapped the spider such that the cover becomes free from the housing but no matter what I try, the 3rd motion shaft/bearing/cover will not withdraw. When I've done this before, the shaft has come away with, at most, a light tap on the spider.

The gears are free on the motion shaft and the motion shaft bearing appears to have moved back about 1/16" but will move no more.

Any ideas??

STEVE

Re: 3 SPEED GEARBOX

Problem solved. Had already tried 10mins of the Heat Gun into the case. Didn't work. Now tried 20 mins of Heat Gun - motion shaft came out with hardly any effort.

STEVE

Re: Re: 3 SPEED GEARBOX

Steve,

I had a similar problem when i took a 3 speed box apart for the first time a few months ago. I ended up making an adaption for a slide hammer so i could pull it out quickly and easily. Its a fantastic tool, well worth making one, it allows you to remove the rear spring pins in seconds without even taking the wheels off! Must have saved me hours of mucking about.

Rob

Warm spanner and brute force - my favourite tools!

Rob,

Please forgive my ignorance - I think I can guess what a slide hammer might be (I've never heard the term before). Please could you enlighten me, and describe how to make one?

David

Re: Re: 3 SPEED GEARBOX

DAVID: Slide hammer consists of a steel rod (say 1/2" dia and 18" to 24" long) threaded at each end. At one end is a 'stop', at the other a yoke. The rod passes through a large lump of steel that is able to slide up and down such that when the yoke is fastened to whatever it is you are trying to shift and you slide the lump of steel shrarply against the 'stop', you create a hammer action that creates a 'pull'.

I've had mine years and bought it, I think, to remove half shafts on my rally cars - probably early '70's. Still works on vintage Lea Francis half shafts as I discovered about 8 weeks ago.

Think it will be a bit brutal for removing 3rd motion shaft on a Seven though!!

STEVE