Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
4 speed gearbox

How do you identify a 4 speed gearbox which has synchromesh on 3rd and 4th gear to one which has synchromesh on 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. Are there external features to assist in identification.
Thanks
Stephen

Re: 4 speed gearbox

There are no reliable was of checking externally. The cover of a box with synchro on 3rd and 4th is marked 'SYN' whereas the cover on the box with synchro on 2nd 3rd and 4th is marked '2 SYN'. However these lids are interchangeable. The best way is take the lid off and look for the brass synchro cones, there will be two on the earlier box and three on the later box.

Re: Re: 4 speed gearbox

Many thanks,will get checking then.
Stephen

Re: 4 speed gearbox

A further check is to look at the casing once you have removed the top cover. At the front end of the casing to cover joint face there is a half moon cut-out on the 2/3/4 sync boxes to allow withdrawal of the third motion shaft and cluster. If this is absent it will be a 3/4 sync box. The corollary is not necessarily true as you can get the guts of a 3/4 box into a 2/3/4 casing.
Ron

Re: Re: 4 speed gearbox

I am just in the porocess of sorting my engine and have the gearbox out as well It has weak syncros on the gears so I thaught about replacing them.
The question is does anyone know if and where they are available from or is it recomended to keep on with double de-clutching (I must admit it is part of the charm of old cars)

Mike Horsfield