Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Martin 750 Special

Does anyone know of this car ? It is Austin 7 based , probably late Ruby , but with parrallel chassis rails , Austin rear axle is mounted at 90 degrees , tubular front axle and quarter elliptic springs front and rear ? It has had a non Austin engine in at some time . It has Austin 7 steering , brakes , wheels , etc. It has a registration , and is registered as the Martin 750 Special . I have been offered it , but wondered if any one knew of it in a previous life ??

Re: Martin 750 Special

Only Martin Special (A7 based) I know of was a single seater with double wishbone IFS. Appeared at Goodwood Easter 1949, competition no. 18. I have a photo, but it really doesn't sound like the car you've been offered. I suspect its owner was South Coast based.
Best I can do!

Regards, Stuart

Re: Re: Martin 750 Special

Thanks Stuart , I don't suppose it had a registration number being a single seater ? Regards , Nigel

Unfortunately the photo is a three quarter rear view. The photographer is close to the car, so the tail is out of shot; can't see any provision for road equipment. Entertaining to note that the arms of the ifs wishbones are made out of the narrow end of Chummy radius arms. Must have used up 8 of them. I wouldn't trust my life to that set up! One can just see that the chassis is the conventional A frame. Big 4 spoke removeable flat blade steering wheel, 8" rev counter, bodywork after thw manner of the just post war Alfa Romeo GP cars.

Not the same car, I think, but I wonder if it is the same constructor? Perhaps you have been offered the Mk 2!

Of course, Martin is not an uncommon name - was there a Martin 500cc car or is my memory playing tricks?

Regards, Stuart

Yes Stuart, their was a Martin Special 500 car. If you are going to the King Billy tomorrow night, I'll bring you a photo of one (doesn't look much different to a Cooper to me though but, hey, what do I know!!).

STEVE

Intend to be there Steve so shall bring photo of the A7 based Martin, just as a matter of interest. This isn't much help to Nigel, Im afraid!

Regards, Stuart

I have taken too much time to decide , and it has been sold to someone in Wales !! It will be an interesting car when finished , good luck to the new owner if you are reading this !!! Nigel