Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Potatoes and Mustard ?

Had a nice long telephone chat today with a retired lady who bought a 1937 Pearl Cabriolet recently. She did have an A7 in the 50's and regretted selling it soon as sold in the early 60's.

Now she's retired, suddenly realised there must be more to life that making jam, so decided to buy a A7, saw an advert in Classic Car Mart in March this year and bought the car. Lot's of work required and she's enjoying every minute. (We spoke for at least half an hour).

So Potatoes and Mustard - well recalling her 1950's experiences with the orignal 1932 A7, she gave up on the vacuum wiper and smeared potatoe over the screen, said it was far more effective than the wiper.... mustard (Colemans) was used in the radiator to calm the leaks.

Does anyone still use these effective methods. Diane has joined the A7OC I believe, so hopefully some of her memories and enthusiasm will be appearing in the house mag. If not, I'm sure the Grey (nee Buff) Mag will be able to use her stories. That's where she found my Tel. No. to start with.

Sandy
Registrar A7CA

Re: Potatoes and Mustard ?

Thanks Sandy

I have not yet fitted a wiper to the Colanders new windscreen! I might just try the potatoe tommorow seen as its raining!
Not sure what the MOT man will think!

Steve.

Re: Re: Potatoes and Mustard ?

Long time ago, but have used potato with effect. Probably not as good as RainOff. Haven't tried mustard in radiator but white of egg got my first car (1927 Citroen) out of trouble on long trip. Do you have Bars Leaks for radiators in UK? Reminds me of 60s Club motorkhana where (at later meeting) member described how he had to go to horse-trough in corner of field to replenish radiator, but each time needed less & less. Found why - water quite thick because found dead SHEEP in other end of trough. Immediately some wag called out "Is that what you call Bars Leaks?" Cheers, Bill

Re: Re: Re: Potatoes and Mustard ?

Woke up to sunshine, so potatoe experiment cancelled.
I was advised to fill up my rebuilt engine with new rad core with "bars leaks" as a matter of course. Apparently most people use it and it helps to seal the inevitable leaks around stud holes etc. I didnt do this as it didnt seem right, hence the "Colander" name!

Steve

When I was a lad, my father ran a series of 1930's UK cars. I remember a 1933 Standard Little 9 and then later, a 1937 Hillman Minx. He considered an essential part of the tools/spares kit to be a potato and a bar of Velvet soap..

The potato was for sticking into the radiator core (externally) to temporarily block any leaks and the Velvet Soap was said to be a sure fire cure for leaky petrol pipes.

I can't say that I ever remember the said items being pressed into service.

There was an anti misting potion as well but alas I can't remember what it was now.

What I can remember on both these cars though is the incessant "Brake Adjustments" which father would perform, and the extensive preparation for family journeys which might amount to 15 to 20 mile trips, and for which car preparation would be conducted over a whole weekend.

Regards

Barry R.

I can vouch for the hard soap trick to fix leaking fuel tank seams. Just rub it in to the leak. It also worked earlier this year when a plastic 300 gallon kerosine tank developed a leak(split near the bottom of course). Lasted long enough for me to get another tank and transfer the contents.
The tank was a Balmoral, and because it was over 10 years old, they didn't want to know.
Cheers, Dave