Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Clutch Plate and Spedo

I have become a great fan of this site the depth of knowledge is great .Perhaps someone can give me a little more advise firstly I am re assembling my 1936 APD and have the cluth dissmantled and wondered what is the normal plate thickness mine are both 1/8" thick allso I have looked at the Seven workshop spares list and they mention three types How do you tell the difference. Second question is Re the speedo
I have the revolving type which I believe is the Magmo when on the road it revolves wildly from left to right is this a likely fault of the head or will a new cable help. Any answers greatfully recieved
Mike

Re: Clutch Plate and Spedo

Magmo, if revolving madly, part of the problem could be the light ali strip that bears on the revolving disc not making contact to slow down the erratic action.

Mike, I will email you seperatly for a suggested remedy (OK for everyone else that means "...send it to me to have a look at....").

Sandy

Re: Re: Clutch Plate and Spedo

Mike

I'm no expert on clutches, but one type has the friction linings riveted to the centre plate and the other type are riveted to the flywheel and pressure plate. Is this what you mean?
From what I can gather the most important thing with the clutch is to get the arms the right distance out and evenly adjusted. I welded and bent mine to suit although there are those who frown upon this technique!

Steve

Thanks Steve the clutch that I have is the one with 2 friction plates do you know what the thickness is for new plates so that that i can decide if to replace them before putting the engine back in

Mike

Re: Re: Clutch Plate and Spedo

Hi Mike
Sorry I dont know the "new" thickness of clutch linings? How about ringing some of the suppliers and getting some info?
Ref the levers I mentioned I would recomend you inspect them and repair or adjust as this is realy quite important to get the clutch working correctly, and its better to sort it out now whilst its in bits!!

regards

Steve.

Mike, can we get down to exactly which clutch you have, the normal, long time fitted type up to and including the first 2 months of the 3 bearing engine, that is with the clutch linings riveted to the flywheel/starter ring - there is a single PLATE between these linings that transfers the drive to the gearbox, or do you have the later Borg & Beck type which has the linings rivetd to the PLATE - NOT THE FLYWHEEL, and was fitted from Chassis numnber 249701.

Sandy

Sandy
yes it is the long term type with two liners and the central drive shaft

mike

Right, pre 3 bearing type - you'll like this one..........

I've just been out to the garage and measured the following :-

New from A7 Workshop linings - 0.130" thick, these are on the shelf awaiting to be fitted, still in their wraps.

Existing on old clutch - 0.145" thick (yes, worn and thicker!) currently flywheel/clutch waiting to be fitted to rebuilt engine.

Centre plate thickness - 0.070 and the other clutch is 0.075" thick.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy yes I am confused so today I have ordered new plates from Severn Workshop better to be sure.

Mike

Sandy the new clutch plates arrived today and guess what they are thiner than the old ones you were right.
Is there a nack to fit the toggle springs without the retaining device that I only found out was needed after I fully dissmantled the clutch .
I am still enjoying the learning experience finding out the hard way .
Mike