Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
DFL Minutia

I have been given a photocopy of the section on DFL Dynamos in the “Austin Seven Manual” by Doug Woodrow. Can anyone confirm the position of the washer between “G” spacer and “H” bearing? It appears to me that if the washer is fitted as shown, that it will rub on the inside face of “F” end plate. My suspicion is that it should be fitted between the bearing and the armature windings. Help would be much appreciated.

Re: DFL Minutia

Ian, It is some time since I did one, but I think looking at the diagram again it is right. THe bearing is a tight fit in the housin F and that washer does not move as it is trapped by the outer part of the bearing . An opinion. Incidently they are notorious fot filling with oil so do replace the seal. E.You have to chamfer a felt seal,or I recall I found a Payen seal that fitted.. Mac

Hello Ian,
I think Mac is right. The shim, washer, plate or whatever it is called is not meant to rotate.
I think the this artifact is mean to assist with oil sealing.

I haven't had one to pieces in that area for about ten years or so, so I am a bit hazy on the finer details, I must admit. One thing though which I would definitely do if I was rebuilding one today would be to fit a fully sealed bearing, as that should help assit in stemming the flow of unwanted oil into the dynamo.

Regards,

Barry R.

Re: Re: DFL Minutia

Thanks Barry and Mac, All of my spare DFLs are in bits and have been for many years. Like you both, the old memory is rather vague. I have just had an armature rewound (££££££s!) and want to build up a good spare. You both highlight my point, the washer is trapped solid to the shaft by the gear and spacer so could not also be trapped by the outside of the race as full lock up would occur. I can only see it could work if the washer was on the other side of the bearing. (not as shown in the manual)

Re: Re: Re: DFL Minutia

Hello Ian,

I have now had the opportunity to have a good look in my copy of "Woodrow."

I think you may be right!

There is also an exploded diagram of the earlier "DF" Dynamo. Interestingly, while the drive end arrangements appear to be otherwise identical to the "DFL," the washer is depicted as being on the armature side of the bearing.

I looked in the John Platts catalogue, but unfortunately, the "DF/DFL" is not illustrated in that booklet.

In the light of the above and having thought a bit more about your question, I think if I was putting a unit together, I would opt for a sealed bearing if I could get one, and I would put the washer on the armature side of the bearing. I would also sort out the original seal, and would think that the dual efforts of both the seal and the sealed bearing should keep a nice new armature oil free.

There may be a "DFL" amongst my "stash." I will have a look at the weekend and do a bit more investigating if I can find one.

Regards,

Barry R.

I haven't rebuilt a DFL for about 20 years, but I seem to remember that there was a slim disc of felt seal between the washer and the bearing. It was for this reason that the washer is on the armature side of the bearing. I used one of the range of Scholl foot pads! However, last time I looked I couldn't find a packet of the ones I had used all those years ago. Also if I remember aright, the washer is dimpled, so you have to work out which way round to fit it as well as where!

David

Re: Re: DFL Minutia

It looks as though I may have to let common sense prevail with this one, I would say that the most likely positions for the washers and seal should be: Gear end…Dished steel washer up against the windings (Dished out towards gear) followed by the felt seal and then the bearing and end plate. This allows the oil to reach the bearing from the ‘Bennett’ oiler and the felt seal to stop blowby of oil fumes from the crankcase. Brush end: Flat washer first followed by the bearing and brush carrier. The washer will stop the brush dust from entering the bearing. The Woodrow assembly makes no sense at all to me, and in my view incorrect.

Re: Re: Re: DFL Minutia

Just been in the garage having another look at the bits and am now questioning my previous theory. Looking at the witness marks on the two steel washers and the felt seal they don’t appear to have been fitted in the way I thought. The marks show that the steel washers were one on either side of the felt seal, but I still have no idea where this assembly could sensibly fit. It is possible that they have been incorrectly fitted at some time in the past. Barry you are my only hope if you can find a DFL in your stash to have a look at.