Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gearbox

Gearbox now stripped and inspected...

No major signs of damage i.e teeth missing, but some metal particles in the oil. Only sign of what the noise may have been is a small piece of metal embedded into the first motion shaft gear, which has been well ground in now by the action of the teeth meshing. Strange thing is that carefull inspection of the internals doesnt show up anything missing or broken?? I guess must have been a foreign body in there all the time???

Breaking news...... Whilst its all in bits I will be pulling apart the engine in an attempt to inprove oil consumption!!!! At the moment I'm heading for an ASBO if I drop any more oil in the local petrol station!!!

I'm probably going to try one of those lip seals for the rear bearing cover and maybe improve the block to crankcase joint. I've heard many tales of how to seal the block/crankcase joint, one that intrigues me is replacing the studs with high tensile nuts and bolts to clamp down together and then modify the rods to clear down the bores and never split the two?

Any thoughts??

Steve

Re: Gearbox

Hi Steve, Block to crankcase seal: what has worked for me with excellent results is : replace the studs that hold it down. I always assemble with the pistons in the block and lower it on to the crankcase with a miniture block and tackle. So, cover the gasget with blue hylomar, feed it upwards over the rods and oil baffles. and lower block down until it is an inch from the crankcase,bed down the gasget then carefully run an 1/8 inch bead of automotive silicon around the edge on it and lower the block and secure. treat yourself to new nuts and, ofcourse, spring washers ,and the three barrel nuts in the valve chest. Allow to dry and remove excess round the out side with a blade. The bolt that holds the cam shaft bearing is also a source of bad oil leaks. Adress this first as you can't do anything when the block is on. I fit it with a new hard fibre washer , having put p.t.f.e. tape round the thread. I have had 100% succeess doing this.

Re: Re: Gearbox

with regards to the cam bolt, Ive used a cap head bolt modified to fit, thus it can easily be removed even with the dynamo on. I use an annealed copper washed beneath to seal.

Re: Re: Re: Gearbox

Thanks Guys

Just ordered up loads of bits from Tony Leslie, will be fiddling with engine next week after gear box repair done. Would have liked to have cracked on this weekend but will be at VSCC See Red meeting for weekend.

Steve