Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
and talking of dropped axles...

It struck me last night as I doodled designs for my special, late Nippies presumably were built with girling brakes. What sort of radius arms did they use, assuming they had a dropped girling front axle? Hmmm... The companion only shows a dropped girling front axle as available on a few Grasshoppers...

Re: and talking of dropped axles...

Interesting point hugh.
On the special I use Semi Girling brakes but earlier radius arms without the extra location. I have made some distance spacers to "drop" the radius arms down to clear the chassis, which on an original sports car are different forgings on the end of the arm. If Nippys use this different forging then I guess they wouldnt have the extra location for the axle as per Girling? I know of two Nippys in the Cornwall club, and one of them doesnt have semi girling, not sure about the other?

Steve

I converted my Ulster to full Girling brakes 16 years ago, I run it on a lowered sports axle with the radius arms to match. You can buy the castings from John Barlow to covert Austin radius arms.

Good luck

Ruairidh

Re: Re: and talking of dropped axles...

Ruairidh

Are these forgings as per sports pattern or do they also have the extra locating pin/bolt for the axle that semi Girling front axles have?
I have a dropped axle done by your father (you may remember me collecting it from you on the Devon/Cornwall border a few years ago!) it is the standard type with no extra locating holes for the radius arms, and the drop links I have made suffer from twist, thus altering the castor angle. The extra locating holes would presumably stop this twist ?

Regards

Steve

You asked,

"Are these forgings as per sports pattern or do they also have the extra locating pin/bolt for the axle that semi Girling front axles have?"

They are sports ones and the axle is an Austin one with no extra holes. The dopped forgings hold the axle quite rigid.

Cheers

R

Re: Re: and talking of dropped axles...

According to the "Source Book" Nippy's from 1937 had Girling brakes. not sure if anyone can confirm this?

Steve

Hugh's question is a good one and, had I done as I intended and bought Chris Gould's Nippy book, I could probably answer it! I have often wondered about this because a Girling axle and appropriate sports radius arms would solve a few problems. I wonder how many Nippys were built in '37? I suspect very few. Any sold in '37 had probably been in stock for a year or so. Grasshoppers aside, it would not surprise me to find late Nippys are like vans and use up any old bits...must ask for Chris' book for Xmas.

Regards, Stuart