Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
4spd clutch release bearing

I believe these are "unobtanium"
Has anyone got around this problem area?

Whilst putting the gearbox back together I found a slightly better one in my spares box, but they are all pretty rough. lubricating with thick gear oil sounds better, but long term things will get worse given the fact that one of them has started to disintegrate the brass/bronze bearing spacer. Not realy an urgent problem but I reckon as years go by this may become an issue for some people?

I have seen in bearing catalogues axial thrust bearings which are very thin running on what seem like needle rollers, not sure if some bodgery would work wonders here?

Steve

p.s VSCC See Red was very very good

Re: 4spd clutch release bearing

Hi, There are still some nice used servicable ones about from the usual suppliers. Every time I need one they seeto turn up ,so I think we won't have problem for a few years. I have not heard of any new ones so we will have to soldier on !! Incidently, I use them on three speed clutches as the originals Have as good as dried up. Mac

I'm sure I've seen new 4 speed bearings advertised by one of our suppliers, but can't remember by whom but good old ones seem plentiful. For lubrication try HMP grease-see neglected bits. Dave

Hello Steve and Co.,
Somewhere, I have seen and article which suggests that these fairly special thrust bearings are still being made in small batches by one of the bearing maufacturers.

In fact the item I saw, I think, invited "expressions of interest" for the next batch.

While I am certain that I saw this sometime in the last year or so, I cannot find the item.

Maybe someone else knows about it.

Regards,

Barry R.

Hello Steve,
Fur ther to my recent rantings, I found the reference I was looking for.
If you look at you will find on their vintage page a reference to three speed clutch release bearings being made in small batches.

They may well be worth a try for four speed variety.

Regards

Barry R.

Barry, I think the addy got lost on the way, would it be the 'Vintage Knowledge' web site?

Gareth

Re: Re: 4spd clutch release bearing

Thanys Gareth (and Hedd who contacted me by email.
http://www.vintagebearings.co.uk/
I hope it "emerges" Ok this time.
Regards
Barry R.

Re: Re: Re: 4spd clutch release bearing

Thanks Barry

Have emailed sales with an enquiry about 4Spd bearings. Worth a try.

Steve