Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
flashing indicators

unfortunately the time I think has come when I need to fit flashing indicators to our late 1936 Ruby if anybody has done this mod please can you let me know how to go about it, my Ruby has a small juntion box on the bulk head that the wires frome the steering column go to may thanks

Re: flashing indicators

Hi Pat

Sorry I cant give any specific advice ref your Ruby, BUT I did put flashing indicators on the Colander (my special).

A couple of points....

I tried an electro mechanical relay, not very good so I now use an electronic one (I run 12V). You have to be very carefull about bulb wattage (including warning light) or else things dont flash as they should!!

Also pick your light units carefully. If carefully chosen they will enhance you road safety and not look out of place. I currently use A30 sidelights with BA9 23W orange bulbs which look fine BUT dont realy stand out enough for realy safe use, and the bulbs are expensive and not readily available. I am looking into fitting some bigger light units with the easily and cheaply available orange bulbs as use in moderns. Of course I dont know if you are 6 or 12V so this may be of no use to you!!

Ref the warning indicator as required for the MOT, you can use an iluminated toggle switch which doesnt look out of place or I have heard of someone who convinced the MOT man that the flicking of the ammeter needle was the warning indicator!!! .

Regards

Steve

Hi Pat

Several of our local Austineers use a system of flashing indicators which requires no wiring or additional lights to spoil a nice original car. We wear reflective gloves at night to which are attached high intensity flashing red cyclists lights. Yes I know indicators should be amber but as they are attached to the drivers hand rather than the vehicle presumably they don't come under the construction and use regulations?
This is a simple system which we find very effective. Attention is drawn to your hand signal and it is just a case of making sure the vehicle behind is aware of your intentions before turning right. The passenger can be similarly equiped for left turns or driving overseas.

Gordon

Re: Re: flashing indicators

Hi Pat

You may find this link usefull?

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffylighting.htm

There are several light units and a wiring diagram you can download.

I tend to agree with Gordon, using hand signals can attract the attention of and warn other road users, this is effective in my roofless special, but is not so good in a roofed car particularly if you dont have a passenger!

Steve

Our 1933 'Box' has flashing indicators. They are motorcycle type, so 6v, units approx 1" by 1.5". Toggle switch is mounted on steering column down by bracket. Can't remember exactly how it is all wired in, but will aim to look tonight. A small orange light is mounted in the instrument panel into an existing hole (no-one could determine what had been there before!). The flashers are certainly not period, but are fairly unobtrusive and were mounted using existing small holes in the front wings (but you can use the bumper). It depends what the car is for. Ours is mainly for driving, not showing, so they are really very useful to have. Still flap my arm out of the window though if its a quiet day on the roads. But often use the car at night and always use the flashers in conjunction with reflective number plates that have magnetic backing so 'stick' onto the existing plates - fitted and removed in seconds.

Re: Re: flashing indicators

Pat, I can reccommend Auto Electric Supplies, www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk, who do the whole kit and include a wiring diagram at a very reasonable price (6v or 12v). I used Lucas L94 type lamps which look ok and are big enough to be noticed. I could e-mail a pic of my installation if interested.

Regards,

Rod Griffin

Pat,

I thought I would add my 'pennyworth'

If you are fitting them so that you can indicate your intention to turn in one direction or the other then the most important consideration is how they are seen by the other motorists!

I have seen several 'indicators' on Austin Sevens ( and other pre war cars ) which are so well hidden that only the car owner knows they are operating. I have seen others that lack in any real light value that again only the owner knows they are there.

They must be clear and compelling, particularly to the driver behind you, no matter what the weather is like or how pretty and original your car looks. Any other type of indicator is actually more dangerous than none at all. Once you have indicators you tend to rely on them and not use hand signals. If the driver behind does not see anything but you think you are indicating then the likelihood is a 'coming together'.

There are plenty of 'after market' light units and flasher units both in 6 and 12 volt. Many are provided for the 'kit car' market. Use one that can be seen.

Hope I haven't upset too many people with strange 'flashers', if you were driving a modern at night would you understand a red light waving at you from a strange position down the side of a car ???

Re: Re: Re: flashing indicators

thanks all for your help job now done