Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Good job it came to bits!!

Gearbox now back together, should be OK fingers crossed.

Stripped engine today to assess and look at oil leaks etc. Found out why it has seemed to be a bit "flat" the last few journeys! Two head studs are corroding there way out of the block despite seeming OK 1500 miles ago! This has resulted in the head gasket blowing between 2 and 3. Tappet clearances had also "tightened" up probably due to the newly lapped valves bedding in a bit, this seems to have held open a couple of exhaust valves which will need a grind to seal properly again. Good news is that it will go much better when reassembled!!

I've also been having fun with some arm exercises whilst "lapping" the cylinder head on a friends surface plate. I intend to "lap" the block faces and the top of the crankcase tomorow. If anyone has done this they will know what I mean when I say its bl*%dy hard work! . The head starts to "wring" itself to the plate when your nearly there! Should be worth it in the end .

Steve.