Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Re: What Thread

When you finally establish what thread, you can get the required taps & dies from Tracy Tools in Dartmouth Devon at reasonable price. I have had excellent service from them even though I live in Vancouver Canada.Their e mail address is Info@TracyTools.com

Re: Re: What Thread

Many thanks for that Ken,may have to resort to that in the end.

Re: Re: What Thread

Gentles,

While England (and other close parts of the Kingdom) sleeps, I have been down into the very bowels of my colonial fastness.

Ignoring the ever present dangers of Red Back spiders, snakes, Tasmanian Devils, my arthritus, and Mephistopholes himself, I have now managed to find a coil ignition crankcase with a 1/18" crankshaft still extant.

(E/N circa 92,000)

I have used the old "John Platts" catalogue as a reference to establish:

1. 1 1/8" Magneto Crankshaft is accorded Austin P/N A1-55

2. 1 1/8" Coil Ignition Crankshaft also accorded P/N A1-55.

So, on the basis of that information, unless someone has contrary advice, I think it is reasonable to assume that both Magneto and Coil 1 1/8" crankshafts are the same.

I have removed the "dog" from the front of the crankshaft and measured the thread and report it to be 5/8" Diameter 16 TPI, which is an Austin Special and is the same thread as used on early type radius rods. I had forgotton what "muchanics" can do to those poor Starting Nuts, and this one bore the evidence of being forced out previously with a Cold Chisel.

As part of the exercise, I removed the rear nut on the crankshaft and found it to be 3/4" 14 tpi.Again a "special" as BSF is 12 tpi and WW is 10 tpi in that diameter.

The "specials" are both Whitworth form.

As a matter of interest, a 3/4" Whitworth Standard spanner is intended to fit both these nuts (Cold Chisel bruising ignored).

Yours, in dusty, dirty disarray,

Barry R.

(but I have found a whole lot of other things that I had forgotten I ever had.)

Re: Re: Re: What Thread

Many thanks Barry for all your troubles, especially having to avoid all those horrible ‘nastys’ you have down under. It seems to be as I suspect the thread is an ‘Austin special’. Indecently I have never seen a starting handle dog or flywheel nut that hasn’t been cold chiselled off, probably the reason for all of those broken front lips!

Re: Re: Re: Re: What Thread

Am I losing the thread of the conversation, but weren't these strange nuts/bolts found in an Austin Seven called an Admiralty thread, a left-over from their War effort circa 1919? Cheers, Bill

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What Thread

A thousand apologies. I started reading at the top of the page & didn't realise until now that there was a "previous" section further down the page. It appears all I've said is what Charles Ping has already said. Fortget please. Cheers, Bill

Re: Re: Re: What Thread

Hi Ian,

My dad has a tap, give him a bell if you need to borrow it.

Regards

Bob