Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Headlamps on all the time soon ?

Apparently, the UN Economic Commission, Europe, is currently discussing whether or not cars will have to have their headlamps on all the time when travelling, and this could be introduced as soon as 2010.
If you've never heard of UNECE before, then neither had I. This body, which is not part of the European Union, has not been voted in by us the UK public but governs us along with other Eurpoean countries who do not belong as members of the EU - I hope you're still with me !
Today, and according to the Minister of Transport, despite his opposition to this measure on the grounds of diminished safety for Motor Cyclists and the use of more fuel to power the lights and subsequently more emmisions, he feels sure this will become law by the year suggested. If passed, it will be adopted in the Type Approval for all new cars, where by switching on the ignition will automatically turn on the headlamps. He is unsure if this need to display headlamps on all other vehicles will be implemented, but should the Type Approval be passed, he rightly feels it would be dangerous for road users if it were not. As I said, he is opposed to the introduction of any this legislation full stop.
What this will mean to our puny dynamos and their low output I hate to think. Probably we will all have to convert to 12 volts.
When will this bureaucratic nonsense end ?

Re: Headlamps on all the time soon ?

Charles,

Will it be 'headlights' or 'driving' lights such as used on Volvos?

If it is driving lights then the problem is not as bad as it might seem, with high intensity LEDs I am sure even the 6 volters will be able to cope. I wonder how this will apply to veteran cars with carbide lights?

I remember a time when you had to have a parking light on the car at night, now if that was still in force, wouldn't we have a lot of flat batteries. If anyone wants a clip-on one for the drivers door I have a spare genuine 1950's one.

The objection to headlights on because of increased fuel consumption is a little hard to understand, the alternator produces the amount required without any noticeable affect on fuel consumption, if they are going to go down the road of fuel efficiency how about banning air conditioning in cars.....

My Volvo has 'dayglo' side lights which are 28 watt, I think Sandy on this Forum has mentioned these before, and thus they are 'brighter' than the standard 25 watt 6V headlamps on my RN. Ah bliss.

Cedric

In Denmark where I live "driving light" has been mandatory since some time in the 1980'ies - and in Sweden of course for even longer, so while I never heard of UNECE and therefore can't comment on what they're planning, I can share my experience.

The purpose obviously is to increase safety, and it is my experience that it does. Other motorists (incl. MCs) are simply better visible, in particular in specific situations like low sun, rain or fog (I know we all turn the lights on under those circumstances anyway - it's just all the others who forget ). If there is one drawback here, it is that the constant use of the headlamps causes them to wear out, leading to more one-eyed or even zero-eyed cars - also when it is really dark.

It is obvious that it has to increase fuel consumption, but it is not by any measureable amount.

In Denmark the requirement for the "driving light" is beyond what the regular position or parking light is capable of, so most makes simply use their headlamps, although dedicated "driving lights" as on Volvo and Saab are also a possibility.

For vintage cars like our Sevens it is not required to use driving lights, and personally I normally don't when driving our Ruby in good weather conditions. If I used it for my everyday transport I would seriously consider a LED or 12 volt solution.

So if the bureaucrats are up to it, I think it is possible to introduce driving lights without unnecessary hazzle for vintage cars owners.

Cheers,
Flemming.