Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Bearings

Gents, as a follow on from my front mains question below, though I'm not certain of the result yet as I'm going to do a bit of measuring and head scratching to get the definative answer.

Anyway my question, I've done a bit of ringing round for the bearings I believe I need, a matched pair of MJT 1 1/18 Single row Angular contact ball bearings, and a single MRJ 1 1/4 Roller.

The prices I've got vary quite a bit, from £52 each for the MJT's (RHP) to £17 each by some far eastern manufacturer. Range for the roller is from £47 (RHP again) to £24.

All in all a set of bearings will cost anywhere between £57 and £150, thats a big choice.

Is there a definitave spec for these bearings so I can check that the cheaper bearings meet it? or has anyone any advice concerning makes that have been successfull or to avoid.

Many thanks in advance

Re: Bearings

Hedd,

Phone the Seven workshop on:

01225 868696

I am sure they will be able to help you, the bearings will be correct and, if in stock, with you the next day.

Cheers

Ruairidh

Re: Re: Bearings

I have experience of both cheap bearings and proper expensive bearings. Often the cheap bearings can be dodgy refurbs with evidence of wear and rust etc, or in the case of Chinese ones they are usually fit for the bin straight from the packet (like most stuff from China)!!! BUY THE DECENT ONES. My experience is mostly gained from other applications but the principle is the same. China is on the up at the moment due to cheap labour and relaxing of the regime, hence the world price of scrap metal etc... BUT they realy and honestly are just churning out unbelievable amounts of junk!! They copy everything including motorbikes, agricultural machinery, lawnmowers, generators etc etc and I MEAN copy they are exact copies!!! BUT they have no quality at all, and are inferior in every respect, unlike the Japs who copied and improved everything we used to do!!!

Sorry to rant but its something I feel strongly about!
Buy the dear ones!

Steve

p.s the 750 club book has an excellent section on bearings and the finer points of front mains, its well worth reading before you go any further

Re: Re: Re: Bearings

I used to make my own rivet punches years ago by heating the metal and hammering it into an old ball bearing. I needed to make another one last summer, so bought some ¼” ball bearings from my local cycle shop. The result when I whacked the punch onto the ball was a ‘flat’ ball bearing! They are just rubbish, and to think we have lost all our industry to people like this. We could have dropped the price ourselves if we turned out junk like this.