Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
What's in a name?

OH, Hello boys, look,I need you to help me with a learned answer. My Elderly neighbour Barbara phoned me up and said that she knew thqt I liked old cars and she had To sell hers she had had from new . Did I know any one who would be interested in her classic car. It was 1987 Honda Civic ! I said no, but can you tell me what cars are classic , what are vintage and what are veteran?

Re: What's in a name?

This issue is a whole can of worms and best not to get in to it! The classic car mags are full of such discussions and some of the letters get quite nasty. It is like beauty - it's in the eye of the beholder.

What's in a name? Your's is a pretty good one. Lots of them up around Aberdeenshire and Kincardinshire. Are you from that stock?

Re: Re: What's in a name?

Hi Mate,
Well I own a MG Maestro and that is a classic car by all accounts but I think its vintage. Dunno what year vintage is but imagine its anything before 1990.
So anything over 16 years old is vintage in my book. Your Austin 7s must by that measure be veteran dont you think.

Quite simple, Tiggy. It all depends what you wanted when you were 14. I mean, what car you wanted.

I wanted a Frazer Nash. Haven't quite got over it.

Other persons of my age wanted a D type Jaguar. They buy the magazines now. It's a funny old business.

Regards, Stuart

Veteran up to 1904, Edwardian up to 1919, Vintage up to end 1930, post vintage turns into classic I know not when!

"What did i want when i was 14"
Suzi Q
And then Princss Anne got done for
speeding, i had to wait till i was 40,
till i got my Scimiter, three and ahalf
years of problems,
which i replaced with my A7,
few problems,but i still miss the
scimiter, still love Suzi Q.

Don, you say :-
"What's in a name? Your's is a pretty good one. Lots of them up around Aberdeenshire and Kincardinshire. Are you from that stock?"

The Arbuthnot's are from that area and a couple of my Great Aunts (at least) had that name as middle names. I'm also from stock in Kincardinshire, the family name 'Croall' has traced back to 1365 so far in Kincardinshire.

Sandy Croall

Croall is an unusual name. There was one in the office in Aberdeen years ago - a ¨Process Engineer" I think. Was he you?

As for Maxwells - we were just cattle stealers from around Dunfries. In Sweetheart Abbey, near Dumfries, there are lots of Maxwell Graves inside the Abbey, so I think we took our name from our aristocrat masters.
If I remember correctly, Sweetheart Abbey was constructed by John Balliol and when he became a naughty boy religiouswise, his pennance was to contruct Balliol Colledge in Oxford, but I could be wrong here.

Are you a born in Scotland Croall? The Arbuthnot name is "Landowning" up there in the north east, so keep in touch with relatives - you could inherit half of Scotland!

As for Tiggy, is she a real person like Dr Doom?