Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
WD 40 - New propellant!

A friend in the village had problems with his latest can of WD 40, so he wrote to the WD-40 Compamy and had the following reply....

"Thank you for your recent comments regarding WD-40. We would like to apologise for the difficulties you have had with your purchase and would like to try and explain why you may be experiencing some problems.

We previously used butane to evacuate the cans, but that is a heavy VOC which necessitated us to move to C02. This move has given us some challenges over the years due to the clear differences when you use them. As Butane is a liquid it mixes with the product. However because C02 is a gas it does not.

All cans of WD-40 feature the instruction to point the arrow on the nozzle towards the blue mark before spraying. The reason for this is to ensure that the dip tube is immersed in product to allow for all the liquid to be evacuated.

For best results WD-40 should really be used upright and upside down. This will ensure that the dip tube remains in liquid. If however, the can is used in a horizontal position the dip tube in the can may not be immersed in the liquid and therefore evacuates more gas than product.' Over time this results in all the gas being evacuated leaving only the liquid but no propelIant.

We are currently looking at ways to improve this and hope to find the solution very soon. Normally we recommend you to return your purchase to the store for a replacement can but on this occasion we have enclosed a cheque for £3.00 we trust you will find this satisfactory and that you will continue to use WD-40. Unfortunately we are unable to forward cans, as restrictions do not permit aerosols to be sent through the post.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for taking the time to contact us and for your continued support".

Ok, my friend did not read the instructions, what is there to pressing the button on the top of an aerosol, I mean it's no different to all the others we've pressed over the years, well it seems yes, it is different. There is the 'Blue Dot' to be lined up and which in retrospect my friend found.

I use Duck Oil which I buy in 5 litre cans and put through a spray bottle.

Sandy

Re: WD 40 - New propellant!

It do say ...........

"For best results WD-40 should really be used upright and upside down. This will ensure that the dip tube remains in liquid."

Schum mishtake shorely?!

So far as the blue dot (or similar mark) is concerned it is my own experience that a number of aerosols carry this.

Mike

OK Mike I give in, I admit I'm also one of those who 'Knows It All', then when it doesn't work, I read the instructions...........

Sandy

Butane; now I understand why the garage caught fire.

Laurie.

Re: Re: WD 40 - New propellant!

Sandy

Is there another way but 'when all else fails go back and read the destructions?'

I thought we all did that.

Mike

Re: Re: WD 40 - New propellant!

I have just ran out of my gallon can of WD40, purchased many years ago which I sprayed through a pump action bottle like Sandys duck oil. I will have to see if its still available in gallon cans?

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Yes it is, now in 5L plastic jerricans.

Jeff