Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cow Horns??

Just purchased two new cow-horns(front vallance supports), are there different radius/curves for a chummy, could I have the wrong pair or are they all the same???? Help please, going slowly mad!!!!

Re: Cow Horns??

They are handed, you know?

However a 'chummy' is a 'chummy' is a chummy, which model do you have? I'm sure there is a difference between a AC and say a AG's Cow horns...

I suppose Sandy will come on now and say "chummies are only the small rad tourers, AB's to AD's, the tall rads, AE onwards just being tourer's.....".

Algie

Algie, I have to admit I don't know when a Chummy is not a Chummy, then again, I much prefer to go with the model letters, I know what's happening then, but that could be because of the Register and sorting out queries, anorak country.

Sandy

Re: Re: Cow Horns??

1928, Black Radiator,small I think.As yet no paperwork so can't be anymore precise.Yes I have LH & RH irons.

If they dont fit, bolt them to the chassis, weigh up where they are the wrong shape against the body cheeks. Take them off bung them in the vice, heat them up till they are red/orange and bend/twist them with a half decent big ajustable spanner.

Thank you Mr.Jones,make the bu....s fit in other words.I take it only one type/size then!!

Re: Re: Re: Cow Horns??

As far as I'm aware, there was no change to the two cow horns' shape after the one-piece Pramhood effort, until of course the "square", veretical Ruby type. As already suggested, if you've bought replicas they may not be exact, so may need altering to suit. They should end up being about the same radius as the rear lip of your radshell, 'cos the valances (or flitch plates, or splash guards, whatever you prefer) bolt onto the outside of the horns and your radshell then sits inside your valances. The fit of all this will rarely be exact as even originally Austin made slotted holes and packing to allow for the gaps. Best of Luck & Cheers, Bill

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cow Horns??

Thanks Bill for your pricise answer.

Algi`s remark about AB and AG`s he of all people should know that an AB chummy has a one piece cow horn not two

I notice that the new/repro cow horns are almost twice the thickness of my originals. Is this an attempt to stop them cracking or were any of this thickness supplied by Austin?

Martin