Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sealing the fixed roof

The fixed rear roof section of de lux saloons was secured in the body with wood screws and bedded in a bitumastic compound to make the seal watertight. The bitumastic compounds I have acquired are either too runny or too thick, can anyone recomend a suitable sealant? I have used seam sealant on two cars but after about 4 years one has started to leak. Dave

Re: Sealing the fixed roof

Dave, On my RN Saloon I have used black silicone sealant (the everyday stuff that you apply using a sealant gun).This is on the rear(fixed) half of the roof. No leaks so far after 3 years. I bedded the finished ie internally upholstered section in the steelwork of the roof,making sure that I didn't put too much on in case it gunged out onto the headlining.

Thanks Dave, I don't want to upset you but I tried that in 1994 and it was as wet in the car as outside at Gaydon 2000. It's OK for baths but not Austin Sevens. Dave

Re: Re: Sealing the fixed roof

Dave

How about Sikaflex marine sealer/adhesive?

Its not the first time its been mentioned on the forum, if you search the forum there is info and a web search gives specs and part numbers etc because there are many different types.

Steve.

I dont really like to admit this,but when I rebuilt my RP saloon 32 years ago (I was 13 at the time) I sealed the roof down with glazing putty and then sprayed cellulose over it. It hasnt leaked or cracked since then!!!
Regards
Andy

My old Box Saloon was a Standard model without a sliding roof. When I painted the body in 1991, I also replaced the original, leaky, roof covering with a modern vinyl type material that was turned down into the roof appature and the joint sealed with bathroom standard black silicone sealer, carefully masked to give a neat joint.

I sold the car in 2003 and, until that time at least, it never leaked a drop despite some journeys in the most terrible weather as both Mr. Wortley and Mr. Mann know well!!! Good to see we're all still alive and kicking.

STEVE

Hi Dave,
I didn't think your car stood still long enough to get a leak !!

I would go along with Steve Martin re Sikoflex. I have used silicone in the past but I now use Sikoflex. Silicone has a habit of cracking away from the metal bodywork, particularly if it is black and get very hot in the sun. Or is that just because Cornwall is always sunny?

regards to you.

Malcolm

I think the stuff dad uses is called dum dum roofing compound, yellow and black tin, (looks a lot like tar) not sure where it came from or how long it has been n the garage. Works ok on Jane!!! (the box saloon)

Rob

Thanks for the advice, I think Ill try the Marine Sikaflex. In all our cars I painted the body first then fitted the rear roof like Steve, but after about 5 years the sealant/silicon comes unstuck from the paint. In the first instance with black silicon I just removed the screws and lifted the roof out, it wasn't stuck anywhere. Unlike a bath I removed recently that was well and truely stuck to the tiles.
Malcolm is right it only leaks when stopped. Dave

Dave,
For informatiom, Dum Dum is available from www.frost.co.uk
Regards
Bryan