Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1932 Austin Seven Saloon colours

I am repainting my 1932 Austin Seven saloon and want to restore it to the original colours - blue and black. I have the Austin Seven Source book and have the modern paint equivalents, but am unsure which blue is the correct blue for the 1932 model. Also, I assume the colour separation between the blue and black is at the raised part of the body. Would the entire bonnet be painted the blue, or only the bottom part?
Any references to Canadian paint equivalents would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Re: 1932 Austin Seven Saloon colours

Hi Geoff, the de luxe RN saloon was available in both Light Royal Blue and Black and Opal Blue and Black. The Light Royal Blue is very dark and seems to be the more common colour(in a photo it can look almost black), I'm not sure of the Opal Blue. A search of the car can sometimes reveal its original clour, the bulkhead behind the dash, behind the patents plate etc. I was given a more modern spec for the Light Royal Blue from someone who has just rebuilt an RN, it is Leichter Paint-Rover Night Watch Blue Part No BLVC805/JPX if it is any use in Canada.
The photo No 836 and Sketch 840 on page 338 (care of Dave Martin who started the RN register) show the correct de luxe RN colour scheme-the bonnet top, bonnet sides, scuttle top, dashboard, windscreen pillar front and inside faces and below the waist line were blue. All the waist moulding (including that on the bonnet), the windscreen pillar rear and outside faces, the wings and the rest of the body above the waist moulding were black.
Regards Dave Mann RN register

Re: 1932 Austin Seven Saloon colours

In my RP, I found the original colour (Turquiose) under a layer of black on the inside of the bulkhead - back of the 'glove box'.

I had to have it specially mixed to match, once we found a colour swab (about 1,500 in the set called blue) that was as close as we could get. Blue is definatly not just blue.

Sandy