Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
33 A7 Arrow replica: work in progress

Hi to you all ,Heres a couple of pictures of my 1933 Austin 7 with Arrow type replica body. As you can see theres still lots to do, However the body work is now finished ,with just the scuttle,toe board ,which after my third attempt ,i think this time around ive cracked it!. My little humble garage/workshop is now locked up for the winter,and as soon as thats been and gone work shall commence. The engine will have to be my next major investment,as all i have is a crankcase,cylinder block and head,oh and four speed gearbox.I have with intensions to purchase a complete engine ,as ive seen plenty on ebay . many thanks nigel hammond.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Re: 33 A7 Arrow replica: work in progress

That's clever Nigel, how did you get the pictures in there? I don't remember anybody doing that previously.

The car looks good too.

Mike

Re: Re: 33 A7 Arrow replica: work in progress

Hi mike ,and thanks for your reply. To post pictures is quite a simple task .what you need is to open a free account photo hosting site.I use one called photobucket.Once you have down loaded your digi pics on your pc ,you then transfer them on to in my case photobucket.The instructions on this site are very simple and easy to follow from there.once you have created an album of your wonderfull A7 pics you will find at the bottom right of the page an access html button to click.click it and a new page will appear with a choice of how you want to image your pics onto a web site or forum. I use html as this works the best.You can also have other choices for ebay ect.After clicking a square box over your desired pics go down to the bottom of the page and click the html button ,then highlight with your right mouse button and your picture codes which you have chosen will turn blue.click the right mouse button again a window will open.click onto COPY.Next you need to shrink your page and go to your forum page.open your new quote.Type your message and then click your right mouse button.A choice window will open,now you need to click PASTE.A series of codes will appear,They will be your pictures.Finally preveiw your message and hopefully those codes will turn into your pictures.Sorry if this all sounds gobble-de-guke,but once you have the photobucket free account a step by step series of instructions will guide you hopefully all the way.Ive noticed alot of forums dont have many phots of owners pride and joys,and hopefully this might inspire some of those digi camera owners out there to give this a go and show this wonderfull forum some of there vehicles. Phew mike i do hope i have made some sense,i must admit iam not the sharpest tool in the box for explaining things.Many thanks and good luck. nigel hammond

If this works it's great Nigel!

Here is a picture of my '28 Chummy and my father's first car, a 1929 Saloon (with Austin 20 Sidelights and various other non A7 bits!!!), which he's owned for 42 years!

I got the Saloon going for him and my mother as a suprise last weekend, he hasn't driven it for nearly 20 years and was literally gobsmacked when I told him it was back on the road. He drove it around about 160 miles over the weekend, lots of little problems but we'll get them sorted out.

Cheers

Ruairidh

No picture Nigel, help me!!!!

R

I think I've got it....

Re: Re: Re: 33 A7 Arrow replica: work in progress

Nigel,

Well - lets have a go!!!

%%bbCodeItem_1%%
%%bbCodeItem_2%%

Re: Re: Re: Re: 33 A7 Arrow replica: work in progress

That did'nt work - try this

Ruairidh,

What was your last move ?????????

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 33 A7 Arrow replica: work in progress

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 33 A7 Arrow replica: work in progress

Better,

Seems to be a matter of which of the five options you chose. My successful attempt was with the first - the HTML for ebay etc. I was put off by the ebay bit at first. Still getting small image though.

Well done Nigel and Ruairidh, this opens up a whole new can of worms. Perhaps we will be able to see a picture of Dr. Doom at last!

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 33 A7 Arrow replica: work in progress

It's a thumbnail - you can click it to full screen !!!

Have a heart for us poor sods on dial up. If this starts getting popular I won't be able to read the posts on account of the time that it takes to load up. Why not just post a link to the pics and then we can decide which pics we want to see. Nice job on the car Nigel.
Cheers, Dave

Hi Mike,

A Brough Superior I presume. A now deceased neighbour of mine, a Mr Miller had an almost identical combination to yours. His was tatty, totally original, unrestored, he'd owned it for years and was still using it everyday until his death in the 1980's. I never did find out what happened to it, hopefully it found a new home and didn't make the journey to the local tip along with most of the contents of his home, the rooms of which were apparently full of old bike bits.

Jeff

Not mine Jeff, it just seemed an interesting picture with which to experiment. It is indeed a Brough Superior with an Austin Seven coil engine and three speed crash box. The drive shaft passes between a pair of close coupled rear wheels to a standard Austin crown wheel and pinion. The guy who owns it tells me that double declutching is a bit of fun with hand clutch and throttle, and a gear lever coming up between your legs to the right of the frame. This one is about number six of only I think ten which were produced. The Swallow sidecar has been with it since new.

There is some footage of one of these bikes on one of the period Austin films. The rider is doing some hands-off-and-stand-up-stunts as I remember it.

On the topic of inserting pictures Geoffs point is perhaps well made - maybe we could have some guideance from on high on this point???

Mike

Sorry, Dave Wheatley's point.

I'm on dial up and the images did not take that long to download, although I think three full size ones (of the Arrow) is a little greedy - Arrow pictures seem to be a bain to me, I had some sent to me as Registrar which totaled some 12 Mb's, I was not amused after 40 mins. waiting to see what the email was.

These on this forum down;loaded a lot quicker.

Sandy

Sorry about the huge pictures Dave!! I think that if we load them as thumbnails as Mike did it should speed up download time.

All this excitement in one day and it's only monday what on earth will tuesday hold...

R

Like boys with a new toy!!!

Not sure if this will work?

Steve

Try this?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/ulster0/06060005.jpg

Re: Re: Re: Re: 33 A7 Arrow replica: work in progress

How about this?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 33 A7 Arrow replica: work in progress

Hi steve,Is that your special?. Love it to bits.. could i see some more pics -other angles please? nigel hammond.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 33 A7 Arrow replica: work in progress

Nigel

Heres a rear view.
I'm afraid it doesnt stay the same for very long. As a special I keep chopping and changing things, it now has a different screen because I found trouble with my glasses blowing off with the one in the pic. Various other things are changing or have changed, I'm currently making a new bonnet to replace the one fitted that looked OK with the aero screens but looks peculiar now that I have a full height screen, the rear section will include a new bootlid and some small doors soon as well to raise the side profile to suit. I might even splash out on some paint for the new bonnet!!

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 33 A7 Arrow replica: work in progress

Big thanks again steve. I must say ive always been a fan of boat tail specials and your A7 is a little darling! Iam now full to the brim with inspiration with my Arrow build.It would be great to see you and your A7 special one day on a road run or show.cheers buddy and well done!!! nigel hammond.

Hi Dave , and many thanks for your compliment regarding my A7 build. I really hope that i havnt chucked a spanner in the works of this great site and forum.I belong to few other forums ,two A7 ones and a scale auto forum were they regulary post there pics of builds and there pride and joys,and because iam new here i just asumed it was ok to follow with the same idea.He He it certainly raised a topic and a half!!hope to meet some of you fellow A7 owners soon,once my Arrows on the road. Many thanks again. nigelhammond.

Hi sandy,I belive we have met earlier this year ,when you collected some RP saloon body parts from me in basingstoke? I do hope your well and soz if you think i was a little greedy with my three Arrow pics,i was just introducing myself to all you fellow A7 owners with a little show of what i am up to with my little pride and joy!Many thanks nigel hammond

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 33 A7 Arrow replica: work in progress

Hi Young Dunford. You may not remember, as you hadn't started school at the time, but your Mother kindly allowed me to enter that saloon for Beaulieu in 1977. I have photos of certain folks around it, taken at Keith Roach's farm. It's great to hear it's back on deck again - I'm sure Ian will be wrapt. Cheers, Bill

Not so young now (4 in 1977) Bill, getting older by the day.

Luckily I have retained my father's youthful looks and my mother's enthusiasm for knitting!

I wondered why the car was in such a state but now I know!!

Have you managed to ship the ’24 yet, haven’t heard a peep from the courier??

I hear you are newly wed, many congratulations to you both, ping-pong-tastic??

Cheers

Ruairdh

What great pics. Keep 'em coming please

Hi again Ruairidh. As explained in my letter (and by your query I'm wondering if you rec'd it?), my sincerest apologies for deferring the bodywork when it was so close to finished. The panels do exist, as Dennis Gibson can vouch for when he visited me from Canberra! Due to health problems and then, as you said, my nuptials it was put on the back burner - but I'll dig it out again over Christmas and ship it January. One question I asked by snail mail : do you have access to the T beading for the doors? We can't get it here. If you also can't, I'll have a go at making extra doorskins that incorporate a bead that's part of the skin. Cheers, Bill

I'll e-mail you on this one Bill,

Cheers

R