Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
GRP Ulster body

In the latest Red CRoss book I have (2003) there is an entry for Richard Sherwin in St Austell, supplier of GRP Ulster bodies. Sadly, his contact telephone number is incorrect. Do any of our correspondents living that way know his number? Does he still produce GRP Ulster bodies perhaps? Or, even better, anyone got a swb Ulster body lying about they have no further use for? Cheers - Hugh

Re: GRP Ulster body

The Red Cross Directory is in the process of being revised. I have checked against Bodywork entries and Richard Sherwin is not listed now. I will contact Bob Cross to see if he has any other info. Possibly the Cornish A7 guys will have some idea.
Dave

Re: Re: GRP Ulster body

The GRP Ulster bodies were originally made by Chris Gould. He eventually gave up and started producing Ulster bodies in Aluminium. He sold the moulds to Richard Sherwin if I remember correctly who took over production.

Given that these days, you can buy an Ulster body made in the correct materials, brand new, for as little as £2000, I wonder why anybody would want to use a GRP body. I don't know how much they were/are but they can't be that much less. The finished car would always be 'not right' and, if you ever did want to sell it, they have proved rather difficult to move on.

Good to see the Red Cross Directory is again being revised. Some of the entries are, inevitably, rather out of date now. Some of the entries were originally taken from a 'Spares and Services Directory' that I produced for PWA7C in 1994 (no problem with that although someone might have asked) and it is amazing to see how the spares and services available has increased since that time.

STEVE

Ah - that makes sense. As far as the cost of an ali body is concerned, you are quite right on approximate cost (though you still have to add in wings, petrol tank and rad etc) but they do seem an attractive proposition at that price. Still considering my options on how body the chassis I am currently working on... cheers!

Re: Re: GRP Ulster body

Wings can be very expensive if you want the "full length" version (and they're heavy).
However luckily cycle wings are cheap and "in period". A very late scuttle tank (the narrow one) fits behind the seats very nicely.

Charles

I can tell you that the moulds for a GRP ulster are now with a member of the Cornwall Austin Seven Club.

If you are interested in making, or having made ,a GRP body then If you email me with your telephone number I will pass your details onto our club members and see if he will make contact with you.

I can confirm that Richard Sherwin no longer resides at St Austell nor does he have any moulds.