Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Steering Column Lengths

Anyone have a definitive listing of the pre-hour glass steering column lengths?
I know that Nippy ones were longer, as were genuine Ulster ones (how much longer?) but what of the rest?

Thanks

Charles

Re: Steering Column Lengths

Hi Charles. Will send you a list via your email address. Cheers, Bill

Re: Re: Steering Column Lengths

Hi Bill,

Can i have a copy?

Regards

Rob

Bill
Could i possibly have a copy of the list Many thanks David

Re: Steering Column Lengths

Why not just send one copy to the Editor of the A7CA's Grey Mag, then all those who want to know, will know.....

Algie

Bill,

Would it be possible to have a copy of this information here on the Forum? If nothing else it may well start a discussion.

Mike

Charles, Rob, David, Mike, Algernon, et al. The reason I didn't offer some details on this site before was (a) apart from compiling a book on Austin Sevens in Australia, I had in mind to put out a Restoration booklet, dealing mainly with bodywork but including fittings etc. (I realise the danger of info to suit replica-builders, but feel overall it would be of benefit to more people restoring their original little beasts). The thought occured if I keep on supplying measurements as I've done on this and other sites, I'll end up with nothing to publish! ; also (b) my steering column list is still incomplete; and (c) I wanted time to double-check on more cars than those I have so far. But because of so many requests, here goes : 1923-5 = top end of outer column to brass collar 22", to step of box 23 1/4" (including about 1/4" of brass thread). 1927 = same except some were 23" to box. 1927-8 Super Sports = same, except angled box. 1928 splined (spline 7/8" diam) = 24 1/4" to collar, 25 1/4" to box. 1930-1-2 Ulster = same, except angled box. 1932 = same as '28 splined?. My measurements on Type 65 (1933) and Speedy (1935) were taken on Australian-built (MG-type) bodies where the columns on both were lengthened to suit the respective bodies. = 32 1/4" to top of thread, not box. Nippy/Speedy column (with dished, wire-spoked Bluemel wheel)is reported to be "2 1/2" shorter than standard", therefore same as '27?. When time permits I will check with factory drawing. Ruby (including steel-box model)= 24" including about 1/4" thread. Big 7 = 28" wheel boss to cast iron box. All this for what it's worth. As we used to say in Accountancy, Errors & Omissions Excepted, All care & No responsibility. Charles has brought up the point that maybe Ulster columns were longer to suit the flat, larger-diameter Bluemels steering wheels. It was my recollection that Bluemels gave free wheels to competitors at Brooklands so they could claim success if that car won or did well. So did Austin ever fit them on Ulsters at the factory, or were they an after-market item? If the latter, maybe the colums went out only to suit the standard Austin wheels. (I refer to Ulsters, not 65s which did have these wheels). Cheers, Bill in Oz.

Re: Re: Re: Steering Column Lengths

Bill,
You are right Bluemels gave private Austin 7 competitors in the 1931 Double Twelve one could chose a colour to match your car Philip Marriage chose a red one for GH23.The steering wheels however are not dished so with the standard length column they are closer to the scuttle.Have also seen white and blueBluemels wheels on Ulsters ,but most are the common black.As far as I know Austins never fitted them at the factory.They were offered for sale in the Austin Magazine.The only cars that Austins fitted Bluemels wheels to at the factory were the TT cars of 1929,1930.and 1931.Ducks seem to have standard wheels.My 1931 TT car has a column 3.5 inches longer than the standard Ulster.David

Re: Re: Re: Re: Steering Column Lengths

Sorry forgot to confirm the Ulster EA has a standard length column.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Steering Column Lengths

Was concentrating on Ulsters Bluemel also fitted by factory to Type 65s

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Steering Column Lengths

That's odd

The other day when we measured John Sutton's standard Ulster it was about 1.5" longer than his '29 Chummy.
The car is pictured here:
http://www.motorsnippets.com/cars/austin_seven/ulster2.asp=]John Suttons Ulster
I'm sure that the steering wheel sits higher above the scuttle than on my non original car

Charles

Re: Re: Re: Steering Column Lengths

It would be interesting to know if there are any other Ulster columns similar to John's, if only for academic purposes. However what I tried to infer in my lengthy tome was I ignore "one-offs" or maybe "two-offs" and recorded only measurements I gained from several cars of the same model to assist owners with standard, original figures, that's why the list is incomplete so far. No doubt there'll be correspondence following where somebody's Chummy or the like is different? Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Re: Re: Steering Column Lengths

Bluemels steering wheel advertised in Austin Magazine for July 1929 following Double Twelve quotes Austins as being fitted with them.Cost of 16 inch wheel with reeded grip was 42/- with special boss which you would have needed 5/-.Quote .... this wheel is the winners choice because it damps out vibrations and minimses driving fatigue... Any garage can supply.