Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Drivers seat

Can anyone tell me how the drivers seat should be attached to the floor on a 1929 AD tourer. Mine has the runners tacked on with a weld but I'm sure that cannot be correct. Also does anyone have a sketch of the seat runners so that I can check if mine are accurate as the seat frames look like replicas.
Regards
Brian H

Re: Drivers seat

Hi Brian,

I believe that the seat attachment is the same as my 1929 RK saloon as it uses the same floorpan.

On the inner edge ( adjacent to the tunnel should be a 'U' channel, on its side on top of the underseat box frame, into which the flat bottom edge of the seat fits. On the door side is a similar channel but it is pivoted at the rear end and has a bolt hole at the front end which matches up to the hole in the underseat box top.

The seat only slides backwards and forwards; to put it into place you locate it into the channel over the prop tunnel, swing the pivoted channel into place then bolt through holes in the pivoted channel, the seat frame and the underseat box top. The seat frame should have a series of holes about an inch apart to facilitate adjustment.

I got so fed up with not being able to hinge up the seat to reach things from the back of the car or to get tools out of the box that I hinged it in the same way that the passenger seat ( and seats in the later RN / RP saloons ) was fitted.

I would send you a sketch but need someone to tell me how you insert pictures into a forum answer.

Malcolm

Re: Re: Drivers seat

From what Malcolm has described, it seems yours should be the same principle as was fitted from the first Chummy onwards, so go have a look at just about any earlier Seven. The tunnel piece was the same on both sides up until mid-1925 when the passenger's seat only could then be tilted (the Source Book says different but it's wrong). But whichever, it was rivetted to the top of the tunnel and the horizontal lip hooked around the edge of the seat base as described. The holes Malcolm mentioned are to be found on the right hand of the seat-base, there are 4, the first starting at 2 1/2" from the front, then 1 1/4" apart. Austin supplied a unique-shaped peg to hold the seat in the desired position but sorry I also can't give you a drawing via electronics. Cheers, Bill from Oz.

Re: Re: Re: Drivers seat

Hi Bill

Does PhiL Baildon have vthis for the archivis bit that he does for the a7ca .org

Re: Re: Re: Re: Drivers seat

Hi Hayden, Whenever I put measurements or details on this site referring to Pramhoods I know that David Cochrane will pick them up & compare notes with Phil Baildon. We are currently discussing the differences in very early "Car No." body plates. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Re: Drivers seat

I am very grateful to Malcolm & Bill for the descriptions which were very helpful.
I have had another look ay my own car and found that the installation is as described except that my nearside seat rail is welded rather than being rivetted. I even have the oddly shaped peg that stops the seat from sliding.
Regards
Brian Hutchings