Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Digital Water temperature display

Has anyone fitted a water temperature display to a Ruby based Seven, if so where did they get it. Have had a few instances when the engine smelt hot, stopping and checking the water level etc,prove all was OK. I suppose one of these days, I will not and cook the engine.
Thought some form of digital display would help.
Stephen

Re: Digital Water temperature display

Oh, I knew it would come to this...

Re: Re: Digital Water temperature display

Welcome back Doc.

Mike

Why digital?
Just use a normal temperature gauge.
Add a take off by spliting a small Tee into the middle of the top hose.

Charles

Hi Stephen,

The only type of unit I've come across similar to what you're suggesting is one for use with domestic thermostatic valves, unfortunately it's temp range is just 0 to 70℃.
It's basically a small backlit LCD display attached by a fine 3m long black PVC cable to a brass probe which in turn fits into the socket of a brass 1/4" FBSP port - runs off a AAA battery and is around £30 + vat from RS Components. A similar filled bourdon tube (1·5m long) unit using a traditional style dial gauge in place of the digital readout, with temp range 0 to 120℃ is available although much more expensive @ £67 + vat.

Jeff

First thing that comes to mind is "WHY BOTHER?"

Based on the experience of my bog standard RP, I have come to the conclusion that I don't need to know. A temp gauge, digital or otherwise would just give me something else to whittle about. I used to be able to tell it's hot when steam & other stuff comes spitting out of the rad cap, but that has stopped since I cleared out the overflow pipe and sealed the cap with some silicone!

As they say in Oz - 'No worries!'

I'm inclined to agree with Reckless Rat. Many years ago someone stole the rad. cap from my '25 Chummy, and although I had a spare I was reluctant to lose it too. So I fitted, without any modification, a champagne cork. Rarely did the car boil, but if on a long trip in the mountains, my "Digital Water Temperature Display" would let me know of the problem by disappearing into the blue yonder. If we weren't in a hurry it was a good excuse to open another bottle while the car cooled - in order, we claimed, to provide another "Digital Water Temperature Display". Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Re: Digital Water temperature display

I don't know anything about Sevens (I'm deaming about owning one at present) so I may be talking rubbish but -
if a cork will fit why not buy a cheap (less than £5) meat thermometer, carefully bend 90 degrees and insert it though the cork ?
Even digial meat thermometers aren't too dear - less than £5 off eBay.

Paul Humphries

Hi All,

Have a look at eBay item no. 190063711086. If I'm not mistaken this chummy's fitted with what appears to be a temperature gauge tube to the top tank.

Jeff

Hi Stephen,

Have a look at
http://www.raceparts-direct.com/products/gauges_and_instruments.asp?section=WATER+TEMPERATURE+0%2D110%B0C

These are mechanical gauges and if it werent for the style of font on the face (plus maybe a chrome bezel) they look exactly the same as a '30s gauge.

If you feel this will give you more confidence in using your car regularly then go for it.

Hide it in the glove pocket or just under the dash and noone will ever notice. There is certainly a similar one fitted to the chummy on ebay that Jeff has given the link for. You will need to fit a lug in the rad tank or a tee in the top hose to fit the gauge.

Regards

Rob

Yes Rob, but the temperature gauge shares the dial with an oil pressure gauge, in the lower half, which reads to 100psi. Watching that in an Austin Seven would be most depressing - see the other string running at present!

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Digital Water temperature display

Sorry Mike,

Ignore the picture in the top left. If you click the link to the left of the gauges in the list you get a pic of the water temp only gauge.

Should look like this...

Regards

Rob

Re: Re: Re: Re: Digital Water temperature display

Now that's a water temperature gauge to die for.

Mike