Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Stop Smoke?

Hi

There is a product on the local Asda shelves called Wynn's Stop Smoke Oil Supplement - see Wynn's web page. The stuff looks like resin and is meant to be added to the oil when hot.

How is it supposed to work? Would it do anything to reduce smoke/oil consumption in an Austin Seven engine? Might it lead to problems like other similar 'cures' (e.g. Radweld)? Has anyone ever tried it?

Regards

Colin

Re: Stop Smoke?

I used this in a very smokey VW Golf I owned a number of years ago and it noticeably reduced the smoke and oil consumption and enabled me to get it through the MOT without stripdown. Never tried it in a Seven though and would be concerned it might gum up the oil rings.
If mine had got to the stage you are possibly suggesting yours has reached, a full engine overhaul is certainly the best route to take as unlike my old Golf, I imagine you do not intend scrapping your Seven within a couple of years ?

Re: Re: Stop Smoke?

Hi Charles

My engine is not too bad at the moment - the oil consumption is still reasonable. But if there was something harmless that I could use to reduce smoking, I would consider using it.

If this stuff works by gumming up the insides, then it does not sound a good idea for our engines, which, as you suggest, should be given the proper care and attention to ensure a prolonged life.

Regards

Colin

Re: Stop Smoke?

Where is the smoke coming from?

I had a very worn engine, but most of the smoke came out of the valve chest. A Temoporary fix was to block up the holes in the cover, solder in an elbow, and pipe the smoke out the back!

Re: Re: Stop Smoke?

Hello Hedd,I have often seen this mod on old tappet covers,did it work? Where did you end the exit pipe?

Re: Re: Re: Stop Smoke?

Yes it worked superbly, instead an interior full of smoke and a kippered wife we got a small haze behind. I used a 15mm dia rubber pipe and zip tied it to the chassis as It was only temporary. It finished somewhere near the shock absorber mount.