Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
BIG HELP from Canada

I received this mail and am unable to help . Any ideas?

I have a question – can you carry out numerous repairs to a 1928 Austin 7 Chummy? After spending a mini fortune rebuilding the engine, none of the electrical works despite a re-built dynamo and magneto. I need expert help. The brakes, i.e. all the front end bearings, kingpins, etc. need work. The steering needs an overhaul and the rear driver side axle has a slight bend. The electrical wirings need replacing.

I bought and drove the car in Singapore in 1966 for about a year then shipped it to Toronto, Canada. The fabric/paint etc had been re-done but the mechanical was weak. In Canada, the poor brakes kept me off most roads and finally it has been idle for 10 years. It was sold by a dealer in Singapore and his plaque in on the firewall. It is the only Austin 7 with both cowl and head lamps and they appear to be original.

I have the major parts for a hydraulic brake conversion, but found the wheels would not fit over the new drums. I also in 1967 installed a 1936-7??? front axle hoping to stiffen this area and had a go with Girling brakes – all to no avail. I would need advice on whether to convert or not.

Cost wise I guess I could buy a rebuilt car for less money but that is only part of the issue.

I have not looked into shipping but I hope it is not a major problem. I would need some idea of repair cost, i.e. upset limit, say £5,000 or what do you think? Time is not critical but the car is only slightly older than I am. Only the mechanical is required although the hood (top) needs help and I lost the tonneau cover in the repair shop. It should pass a MTO when work is finished, and I would need your assistance in shipping to Toronto.

Any comments/help would be most welcome. The pictures maybe of some help. The general picture of the car shows the cowl lights. The interior is more or less standard except for the petrol gauge. The engine shows the dripping petrol onto the exhaust and the original sales plate. Some other details:

Car No. A6-274

Chassi No. 57921

Motor No. M58429

Regards,

Ken Peaker

Email: info@shaheenpeaker.ca

Home:905-339-2726

shaheen & peaker limited
20 Meteor Drive, Toronto, ON, M9W 1A4
Tel.: (416) 213-1255 Fax: (416) 213-1260

Re: BIG HELP from Canada

Your photos did not come out.

Kerbut, In fact there are no photos attatched.However as interesting as they may be the real problem for him is help in the U.K. or some advice as how to proceed. can we help?

Hi Mac

I'm sure many of us would like to help this guy out, however I suspect that the vast majority of contributors to this forum are one man enthusiasts and are not involved in vehicle (Austin 7) restoration as a commercial business. I also suspect that the paperwork alone to import and then export the same vehicle back to Canada could be quite an onerous experience and would probably require the business involved to be VAT registered. I'm sure many of the forums contributors would have the skills to put this vehicle right and some the spare time necessary, however on top of the parts and labour costs there's the cost of transporting the car to/from the docks, paperwork/documentation costs, insurance, storage space. Presumably a business involved in this type of repair work would also need to have some kind of insurance policy in place, should an accident happen involving the vehicle when back in Canada and the restoration company in the UK be implicated. Could open up a legal can of worms. Might be just as easy to offer the guy a list of all those companies in the UK offering commercial Austin 7 restoration services and suggest he contacts them direct. This may seem like a cop out but perhaps it's the best way to proceed.

Jeff

Having imported an Austin 7 from New Zealand some four years ago I am sure it would be cheaper for someone to go to Canada with a shipment of parts and do the rebuild in Canada. Shipping, port handling and customs cost me £2000 and that was a one way trip.

With air fares in the hundreds of pounds return I am sure a real saving could be made. All the required parts could be sent freight well in advance at a cheap rate.

I could do with a holiday in Canada

Thanks Jeff , all sound stuff. I too felt it should stay there and get sorted. Will pass on a couple of recommendations and contact Roy of Canadian 7 owners club.

Malcolm, You would be 'working' in Canada, not on holiday. I mean, you don't want to give the wrong impression to those around you, do you?

Algie.....