Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
first start up! some problems

Ladies & Gents,

I think I've sorted the water manifold problem, and after cleaning the points, gapping the plugs and setting the timing, got the rebuilt engine started fairly easily on the handle using a little choke and a bit of throttle (even on 2 year old petrol!) Marvellous!. The initial burst of smoke (I was liberal with oil during assembly) gassed me out, and after 2 minuits or so I let go of the throttle and the engine conked out. Now the sod won't start, it'll fire, but only with no choke, and will not run on, even with my mate cranking and me manipulating the choke and throttle. .
Another problem (may be linked?) was that after fitting the starter, when I touched the starter button, the ignition light went out and bugger all happened. A quick check showd my poor old battery seems to be kaput, despite being on charge a couple of days.

Anyway, got fed up and walked away, and will order a new battery tommorrow.

Other than the possibility of low battery output and a likely crap spark, does it sound I have any other obvious problems?

Re: first start up! some problems

Don't be too downhearted yet. My last trials engine started first time then, after I'd turned it off refused every effort to get it to go again. After the best part of a day's trying, I got someone to tow me off with a modern. It started the first time it turned over and continued to do so, on the button, until I melted two pistons 4 years later!!

STEVE

Re: Re: first start up! some problems

Hedd

A good battery should make life easier.
Is everything still set correct after its short burst?
Nothing has moved or come loose?
I had some trouble after the second rebuild and needed to screw in the mixture screw fully and then back it off about 1 turn to get it to go.

Steve

Re: Re: Re: first start up! some problems

I think so, I checked the points hadnt closed up, the dizzy is where it was.
Though I havn't checked if the carb jets are still clear.
I'm not dis hartend, I find if you walk away the next time you go to the job it all seems easier.

Re: first start up! some problems

Hedd,
I would clean out the carb and invest in a gallon of fresh petrol before the next attempt.
Cheers, Dave.

Re: Re: first start up! some problems

Gallon of fresh petrol in the tank ready!. I'll check the carb. Off to order a new battery at 4