Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Insurance - Car being Restored - UK

I tried this topic some time ago without resolution, so I will try again!

How do people cover their cars that are off the road, being restored etc, with insurance in the UK. My Household insurance say it's a Motor Vehicle (and it's parts) and thus should have a seperate Motor Insurance policy.

Motor Insurance to be valid normally requires you to have the car taxed (zero rated for us) if it's involved in an accident on the road etc. But what if someone breaks into your garage and takes say 10 newly respoked and painted wheels with brand new tyres on, who settles the claim then?

No this has not happened to me, but I do have my 'off the road' car insured through the Associations RH insurers.

It would be ironic if the governments new rules about Road Fund Tax Discs and insurance meant they assumed because I have insurance I must be using it on the road, yet it's neither SORNed or (zero rated) Taxed - it's not been on the road or MoT'ed since 1974, even though someone managed to sell the Reg number in 1998 (car had a declared MOT form in 1998 to enable the number to be sold, the car was in pieces at the time).

Sandy

Re: Insurance - Car being Restored - UK

Sandy,
I do not have insurance on my current 1931 RM project, but when I was restoring a 1926 RR 20 HP I had a laid up policy with Footman James which from memory cost about £60 for £10,000 cover, and they were aware that the vehicle was in a largely dismantled state some of the time.. Never had to claim, so not sure if any issues would have emerged.
They did need a reg.no. though, which is why I do not have cover at the moment. For some reason FJ couldn't get their heads round the fact that I do not have reg.no. for the RM.
Cheers, Dave

Re: Re: Insurance - Car being Restored - UK

Sandy,
I insured my RP on the chassis number alone for 5 years until November 2006 when I finally acquired an age related plate for it. You have to have insurance before you can apply for an age related plate, and an MOT. I insure with RH, and have 2other A7s wth original numbers.
Regards,
Ashley