Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Con Rods for 3 bearing engine

Hi Folks, Can anyone tell me the width of a 3 bearing con rod at the crankshaft end. Many thanks. Bill

Re: Con Rods for 3 bearing engine

I am sure you know there are "white metaled" and "shell bearing" rods, which one ? also if it is the metalled one do I assume you want it before it is metalled? Mac

Re: Re: Con Rods for 3 bearing engine

Many thanks Mac, it is a shell bearing rod. Regards Bill

I have looked in my big box of conrods ,and dont see one! I will get the details next week and mail you. In the meantime if some one can have a measure , all well and good. Can I ask why you want it. Curios?

Thanks for taking the trouble Mac. I recently bought 4 con rods which were described as " white metalled " and Austin 7, on e-bay, only to find they had shell bearings. Rather than mess about, I put them back on e-bay. From questions received it now appears they are longer than the usual A7 rod ie 6 5/16" rather than 6" between centres. They weigh 12 1/2 oz whilst a two-bearing rod weighs 9 oz. The shell bearing that fits is the one specified for the A7 5cwt Van 1936/39 and the width of the rod at the crank end is 1.05". They are off-set as a 3 bearing rod. I think they may be for a big7 which was 900cc and kept the same bore as the 747cc or perhaps an austin 8. Therefore the query. Regards, Bill

Hi Bill,

These are the manufacturers specified sizes for the thin wall (shell) big end bearings.

Austin 7 1936 - 38 all Seven Models including 5cwt Van and Marine Engine
Bearing Housing Diameter 1·418"
Bearing Length ·8437"

Austin Big Seven 1938
Bearing Housing Diameter 1·418"
Bearing Length ·9062"

Austin 8 1939 - 47 all Eight Models including 5cwt and WD Van
Bearing Housing Diameter 1·606"
Bearing Length ·9062"

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, the big end bearing is definitely as per A7 36/38 and your figures indicate it is not Big7 or 8.
The length between centre of crank and gudgeon pin and the facts that its heavier, more robust and has a fully floating pin, may ring a bell with someone. Regards Bill

Hi Jeff, On close examination. I think the Big 7 bearing would fit this rod better than the A7 bearing at present installed as they only vary in width.
If someone could confirm that the Big 7 rod is slightly longer (5/32" between centres) and heavier than a standard A7 rod it would probably indicate that it is Big 7. Regards Bill