Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ruby rear brakes

When looking at the rear brake back plate (from the inside), should the brake lever be at 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock (depending on the side of the car) or at 6 o'clock. I assume that the brake back plate could be moved around to achieve which ever setting is appropriate. The reason that I'm asking is that it is very difficult to get the lever at the correct operating angle.

Re: Ruby rear brakes

Hi Roy

I presume because you are talking about moving the backplates you have the semi Girling brakes?
This is important because on these the back brake levers are in a different position to the earlier cars.
The correct position is at 6 o clock, i.e at the bottom, more like 5 o clock I think from memory?

You MUST fit the correct cam in the correct actuator, they are all different!!! The cams should be marked, if you get them wrong the lever is in the wrong position! My cams are pattern ones and despite fitting them correctly they are not IMHO very good. I think the flat may be in slightly the wrong place? They should be moving towards 90 degrees when braking to maximise leverage. If they are past 90 degrees you will lose some effort, mine are a bit iffy in this respect.

No doubt there are other opinions!!

Regards

Steve.

Thanks Steve for your help, I'll get on and move the back plate.

Semi Girling rear brakes,the adjuster and the actuating cam are nearly in a horizontal plane .The adjuster is towards the front of the car ie the most difficult place to get at The cams SHOULD be marked NF.OF ...NR .OR for obvious reasons.Good luck Ian .

Thanks Ian, they're in a much better position now.