Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hoods and Hood bags

I will shortly be having a new hood and hhod bag made for my 1928 (coil) Chummy. The hood is no problem as the old one can be used as a pattern but there is no pattern for the hood bag. I suspect that most of it will be quite easy to work out but can someone put me right on the details such as, how are the end finished off where the straps go and, what stops the unsupported section at the front (if you see what I mean) from flapping about?
Any help gratefully received.
Regards
Brian Hutchings

Re: Hoods and Hood bags

I may be able to help here. I've emailed direct

Brian, If you can get a copy of Nicholsons ‘The Austin Seven Book’ you will see on page 31 the leather ‘patch’ stitched at the end of the hood bag that the fixing strap goes through. From memory I think that this same picture is in the handbook and also reproduced in the Purves book. As for the front edge, I have two ‘lift-the-dot’ pegs picking up the original screw holes on the top of the aluminium moulding. I have a feeling that the original bag had two long straps that fixed to the floor at the back of the rear cushion with ‘turn type’ fixings (the same type as those used on the Sprite/Midget in the 60s) pre 1926. This changed to the peg type after 26 still down on the floor, my 28 Chummy had the originals still in place, but I never had the original bag.If you cannot get a copy of the pic let me know and I will post one on this forum (If I can remember how to do it!!!)

Re: Re: Hoods and Hood bags

My thanks to Martin for the kind offer of help and also (yet again) to Ian for his suggestions. I have now also found a picture in the Rinsey Mills book showing the straps and turn fasteners.

Brian,

I have lent Bryan Purves the hood bag from my 1925 Chummy - when he has finished with it I could pass it on to you. It won't be an exact pattern but it would do as a basis. Any use?

David

www.a7c.co.uk

Re: Re: Hoods and Hood bags

Many thanks for your kind offer David but I have already been given the opportunity to photograph a 1927 hood bag.I am quite happy for the trimmer (who has worked on Sevens in the past) to make the bag a nice fit to the new hood and just needed details of the area where the straps go and the turnbuckle arrangements for stopping the leading edge of the bag from catching the wind.