Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Instrument layout on 4 Seat tourer

I have had all the instruments stripped from the panel for a re-spray and am about to re-assemble them. "As bought" the petrol gauge was on the right and the ignition switch on the left. I have seen other cars with this arrangement. The picture on page 59 of "Original A7" by Rinsey Mills shows them the other way around. Advise please on who is right.
Ron

Re: Instrument layout on 4 Seat tourer

Hi, if it is an RP the fuel gauge is on the right. If it is a PD I think I recall from memory that it could be on the left . You can confirm this by looking at the hole in the dash . The one for the igntion switch should have a notch that lines up with a little lug on the bakerlight body of the switch. This is there to stop it turning when you put on the lights.let us know. Mac

Re: Re: Instrument layout on 4 Seat tourer

Thanks Mac. Since yesterday's posting I have found the appropriate page on AJ tourers in Bryan Purves Austin Seven Source book (p 360) and also caught up with another AJ tourer owner. I am now confident that the switch and ammeter go on the left and the fuel and oil gauge go on the right. The car illustrated in the Rinsey Mills book has the petrol gauge and switch fitted the other way round.
The two panel knock-outs for the latter have exactly the same profile viz: three equispaced notches at 11, 3 & 7 o'clock and another at 6 o'clock. They can therefore be easily/inadvertently swapped around.
Ron