Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Logbooks

There is a current V5C for an austin Seven for sale on ebay ,is this legal? I would have thought not.

Re: Logbooks

I have just come across this and I wondered who would pay £349 and also what has happened to the car with the Reg No MSU 118. Oddly enough, I have just been reading the PWA7C newsletter on the evils of depriving old cars of their rightful numbers.

The chassis number shown on the V5C is 201347, this is listed on the chassis register as Reg.No. BMP 560 a 1934 special owned at one time by a member of the 750 MC.

Jeff

And isn't MSU 118 a recent age related plate issued by the DVLA ? Probably it replaced the original number BMP, which may have been sold off ? Maybe it's just the Registration Number MSU he's trying to sell ? That's 3 questions !

Presumably the original reg. BMP 560 has been sold, but aren't replacement age related plates therefore non transferable. For this to work, even though I strongly suspect it's totally illegal, you would have to have a chassis / engine with numbers to match the V5C exactly. As the vendor's located in France, has he not taken the chassis / engine there and re-registered it with French documents and now believes he call sell on the redundant British V5C?
The chassis register does show an asterisk against the chassis number 201347 - i.e. BMP 560 hasn't been confirmed as still in existence since 2000.

MSU 118

Checking the DVLA web site, this was first registered on 4/7/1988 and the Road Fund Tax was due for renewal in Aug 2005, it's of the road at present. I assume it's SORNed, although this is not mentioned ? Right now also had a look at ebay, well I would not have thought you could sell the Reg No alone, surely the V5C is the DVLA's property, as indeed is the Registration number, and refers to the car, and if you are transferring the number the car will be required to have an MoT, which I know from personal experience is a sham that the DVLA do not want to get involved with.....

BMP 560 does not come up as being on an Austin, so presumably sold off at some time. As stated in a previous reply, this Reg Number has not appeared on any Club data submitted to the A7CA Registrar since year 2000.

I don't have MSU 118 on the Register.

Sandy Croall
Registrar A7CA

Ooops, sorry missed that the Chassis number on MSU is the same as BMP, to many screens to look at and it is 1am in the morning, and only just recovering from Burn's night..............

Sandy

The mist (angels breath) is still clearing, I'm 99.9% certain any Age related number is not transferrable,

HOWEVER, Ebay MSU 118, on the front page Section 3 'Special Notes' it states :

'Was Registered and/or used. Declared Manufactured 1934'

On my V5C for WSJ 455 (the number had already been sold off before I repossed the car - long story), Section 3 states:

'Non-Transferrable Registration Mark'. The mystery deepens.

Sandy

Looking at the DVLA website, it's possible the vehicle's been off the road pre Sorn, i.e. before Jan 1998. Looking again at eBay, the present keeper acquired the vehicle 10/01/2005, the previous keeper acquired it 01/07/2004 and the new V5C was issued 15/11/2005. Number of keepers since 1988 when it was first registered is 5.

Re: Re: Logbooks

I like the way that the vendor has carefully obscured his own address details but the previous owners name and address is on clear view!

If you buy this V5 and registration number without the associated vehicle (as appears to be the case here) then you can do absolutely nothing with it apart from frame it and put it on the wall. If someone did apply the identity of this V5 to another car this is called "ringing" and is a crime.
Now would someone pay £349 to hang this one their wall?

Come to think of it Swansea will give you a "new" age related number on sight of a heritage certificate and a lot less money than £349!

Charles

See eBay item 120046712774 that the vendor (ermeto) in Neuille Le Lierre, France bought from a UK seller back in November 2006 and the price he paid.

All,
I know the history of this car, it's a Speedex 750 sold through Ebay last year. Although I wasn't involved - all your forensic supersitions are close to the events as I understand them and in the Speedex Information Exchange.
I can only assume that the owner, being French, doesn't understand UK motoring law and that selling this isn't an option.
Dave

Re: Re: Re: Logbooks

Just a final note on this one;If the car was first registered in 1988, how can it be an Historic Vehicle, I thought they had to be registered before 1972 or thereabouts.

According to DVLA, the 'Historic' taxation class can be claimed if the vehicle was constructed before 1/1/73 so presumably if you have a chassis number issued before this date it is historic. How this affects specials constructed later than this but on a 'historic' chassis might be open to debate.
Martin

Just for the record - the vendor did say in his original description .....

"These are mine to sell, as far as I am aware the vehicle they refer to no longer exists, this listing is for the two old documents as described here only."

I see he made a bit over one hundred and sixty quid, and good luck to him. I do wonder what all the fuss has been about.

Mike

I think the point was just to bring to everyone's attention, should anyone reading the forum have considered buying this V5C with a view to attempting to apply its identity to their document less Seven chassis, that MSU 118 (formally BMP 560), a Speedex 750, chassis number 201347 does indeed still exist, see David Armstrong's post 29th Jan, albeit now owned apparently by a French gentleman and probably carrying French Registration Documentation. As Charles Ping pointed out the V5C's only possible use is to be framed and hung on a wall. Anyone who pays £349 for a V5C carrying a recent age related registration number to hang on their wall must be out of their tiny little minds or have more money than sence!

Dear Plod

Ah! Yes! But! Well!. I suppose that you spend most of your day standing on a motorway bridge with a hair-dryer.

Mike